How to Track Email opens and clicks ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I am doing some email promotions and would like
    to track who is opening my emails and who is clicking
    on my links.....

How do i do this ?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Opening emails: requires some kind of connection to your server, however all modern email software block that due to spammers tracking users.

Who goes to the page: make a custom URL that could forward to your promo page, and see how many people go to it.

3. jrmt macrumors newbie

Re: How to Track Email opens and clicks ?

You can't. At least, not reliably. I use a text-only email client (mutt) which doesn't honour delivery receipts (deliberately). If your recipients are using HTML-style email, you might be able to get a ping-back working, but it won't reliably work for everyone.

Why do you want to spy on people, anyway? Do you really need to know?

4. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

Bulk-mail companies will usually offer some kind of tracking as part of their service.

As others have mentioned, you won't catch many tech-savvy people because they tend to lock down their mail clients. Even regular users with standard mail apps are getting more privacy by default these days.

Here's an example of a company that offer bulk mail services with 'delivered' and 'open' rates. I seached Google for 'bulk email' and came up with http://www.dotmailer.co.uk/. I don't know if they're any good. As a web developer I only know of these companies - I don't actually use them.

5. gpb01 macrumors newbie

gpb01

Get a look to _THIS_ ...
    ... maybe can be useful :)

Guglielmo