How to Track Email opens and clicks ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2007
    Heaven or Hell
    I am doing some email promotions and would like
    to track who is opening my emails and who is clicking
    on my links.....

How do i do this ?
  2. Consultant macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    Opening emails: requires some kind of connection to your server, however all modern email software block that due to spammers tracking users.

Who goes to the page: make a custom URL that could forward to your promo page, and see how many people go to it.
  3. jrmt macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2008
    Re: How to Track Email opens and clicks ?

You can't. At least, not reliably. I use a text-only email client (mutt) which doesn't honour delivery receipts (deliberately). If your recipients are using HTML-style email, you might be able to get a ping-back working, but it won't reliably work for everyone.

Why do you want to spy on people, anyway? Do you really need to know?
  4. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2008
    Nottingham, England
    Bulk-mail companies will usually offer some kind of tracking as part of their service.

As others have mentioned, you won't catch many tech-savvy people because they tend to lock down their mail clients. Even regular users with standard mail apps are getting more privacy by default these days.

Here's an example of a company that offer bulk mail services with 'delivered' and 'open' rates. I seached Google for 'bulk email' and came up with I don't know if they're any good. As a web developer I only know of these companies - I don't actually use them.
  5. gpb01 macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2008
    Get a look to _THIS_ ...
    ... maybe can be useful :)