How to transfer 5+GB files from Snow Leopard to Windows 7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scissorband, Feb 21, 2010.

1. scissorband macrumors member

I have several large files bigger than 5GB on my Snow Leopard partition and an external hard drive to save them on to so I can transfer them to my Windows 7 partition. FAT32 wouldn't let me copy the files onto the external drive so what can I do to transfer these files?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Install NTFS 3G on your Mac to add NTFS write support and copy the file to an NTFS formatted drive.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your problem isn't transferring the files. FAT32 doesn't support files larger than 4GB. You need to format your W7 partition as NTFS.

4. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

You should have read-only access to your SL partition while booted into Windows 7. Just browse to the files and copy them over to your Windows 7 partition.

Another option is installing NTFS-3g under SL to give you write-access to your Boot Camp partition. I've been using NTFS-3g for quite a while and haven't had any big issues. Do some basic searching and you'll find all the information you'll need.

5. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

It appears that his external drive was formatted FAT32. I'm almost certain that Win7 can't even be installed on a FAT32 formatted partition.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yup, Win7 is NTFS only...it can't be installed on FAT32 (unless you can hack it on there, out of the box it requires NTFS)

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

snip

That is the best way. I do it all the time with videos.