How to transfer a sold domain name

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by heehee, Sep 17, 2008.

1. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

How do I transfer a sold domain name to the person who bought it? Anything I should look out for? Thanks. :)

2. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Who is the domain registered with and who are your transferring it to?

3. heehee thread starter macrumors 68020

heehee

the domain is registered with networksolutions. He doesn't have a preference how he gets it. How do I proceed and what do I have to look out for? It's not a small amount.

4. MCRunning macrumors 6502

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Once payment is settled, since this is a large sum, if I were you I'd want to control the entire process. This works well considering the buyer doesn't care about the method used.

If you are the administrative contact for the domain (true 99%):

Go to the web page of the registrar handling the domain. Go to the manage domain section and initiate a transfer or change request. Fill in the name and information of the buyer. Typically an email is sent to them and they merely need to confirm or deny the transfer. Since you're initiating as admin contact, you're already confirming by default.

If you are not the administrative contact but can access the registrar site then an email will also be sent to the administrative contact for approval or denial when you start the process.

If you do not have access to the registrar web site, ask the admin contact to do step one - and if you're not sure who the admin contact is, go to http://www.whois.com to find out.

-jim

6. heehee thread starter macrumors 68020

heehee

7. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

You have me curious now... Care to share the domain you are selling and what you mean by its not a small amount. Don't mean to offend, Its ok if you dont wish to share. Thanks

8. N16K NE macrumors member

got me intrigued too.

I got my domain appraised by godaddy and it came up with a "not small amount" but i guess that would be to someone who needs that exact domain name... hhm...

9. heehee thread starter macrumors 68020

heehee

It's not millions of dollars. :D Let's just say it's 4 figures. :p

10. N16K NE macrumors member

Congrats! What is the domain name? I got a domain appraised, and it was in the 4 figures....(not that i am wanting to sell) but how would i go about selling? And the appraisal...(by godaddy) does it mean anything - realistically?