How to transfer all photos to new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tmurray315, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tmurray315 macrumors regular

I pre ordered the new iPhone 5 I have a lot of photos how do I transfer all my photos onto my new iPhone. I want to set it up as a new phone how would I do this

2. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

i would also like to know how to transfer ONLY photos and contacts. I know that icloud could accomplish this but i'm running on snow leopard

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

if you want them back in your camera roll then the only way would be backup your phone and restore your iphone 5 to the backup. the only other way would be import all pictures to your computer then set up your new phone as new and sync the pictures over they will now be in a folder called photo library.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I would grab all the photos using image capture and make sure your contacts are backed up on your computer. Set the phone up as new, then transfer the contacts/photos back onto it.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Back up to iCloud. When I got my 4S I put my iCloud details in and all my apps/photos/contacts etc were there as it was before.

iCloud is Automagical :p

----------

Let me add that you don't have to back up everything if you're setting up a new phone. Just select Camera Roll and Contacts.

6. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I don't use iCloud and I only transfer a handful of favorite photos to new devices and set up as new (don't like restoring from backup, because I use the new setup as a "purge" to get rid of things that are clogging my phone).

You can always just back your photos up (I like Picasa over iPhoto for uploading photos)...create a separate folder during the upload process named, for example, "iPhone 4s Photos" or whatever you want to name it...then just load them on your iPhone 5 when you receive it from the folder you created with all your old iPhone photos. And, as a bonus, you'll have a backup on your computer. :)

It's not as fancy as the Cloud, but with over 2,300 photos/videos on my 4s, I would far exceed the 5GB limit and have no interest in paying for extra space.

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

You can just back up your camera roll if you want and forget the rest. iCloud pretty good like that.

8. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

This works for me, as i'm running on snow leopard.

How would i go about transferring my notes and contacts to a new iphone without restoring from backup?

9. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I would personally save the space and put them in dropbox and sort them there. That way you can still show them to friends when out and about but only new pictures impact your memory. Then, upload new pictures when you see fit.

One thing I really like about Android's implementation of picassa is that it puts all of your online photos in a folder for easy viewing. I feel like dropbox is the closest we can come to this.

If you dont have dropbox yet, use this link and get free space.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE0MjY5OTU5

10. Blackforge macrumors 6502

Just photos? Enable Photostream on the old and new phones (and possibly computer if you want).

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

photo stream only holds 1,000 photos and no videos from the camera roll

also does backing up to iCloud and restoring from iCloud decrease the picture size?

12. Blackforge macrumors 6502

iCloud does not reduce picture/video quality. This is actually what I use in preference over Photostream. You will obviously need enough iCloud space though. Otherwise, you may just want to sync your photos/videos off your phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.