Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook has just made a photo transfer tool globally available that lets account holders easily download all their pictures and videos from the social network to Google Photos.

facebook-photos-transfer.jpg

Previously, the majority of Facebook users wanting to download their media from the site had to do it manually. From today, however, users with a Google Photos account can automate the job, and Facebook says more cloud services will be supported soon.

Even if you've had enough of Facebook, the built-in tansfer tool is handy if you want to save your media before permanently closing your account. The following steps explain how it works.

1. Log into your Facebook account in a web browser, then click the down arrow in the top-right corner of Facebook's menu bar.
    facebook-arrow.jpg

Select Settings.
    facebook-settings.jpg

Select Your Facebook information.
    facebook-information.jpg

Select Transfer a copy of your photos or videos.
    transfer-copy-of-facebook-media.jpg

Enter your Facebook password if prompted, then click Choose destination and choose Google Photos from the dropdown.
    facebook-google-photos-transfer.jpg

Use the radio buttons to opt to transfer a copy of either your photos or videos you've uploaded to Facebook, then click Next
    facebook-photos-or-all-media-transfer.jpg
    Sign into Google Photos and grant Facebook permission to add media to your Google Photos library, then click the Confirm Transfer button on the next screen.
    confirm-facebook-media-transfer.jpg
After the transfer is finished, you'll receive an email from Facebook notifying you that the process is complete.

Article Link: How to Transfer All Your Photos and Videos From Facebook to Google Photos

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Only last week I abandoned Google and switched entirely to iCloud. I actually love the product, but Google chooses to screw over legacy Google Apps accounts. I was paying 10eur for 1TB, yet Google One accounts were offered 2TB for 10eur.

When I contacted Google, they told me to pay an extortionate amount for a Google Suite upgrade losing all my benefits to get 2TB storage.

On that note, I downgraded to 100GB (20eur for the year), and switched to iCloud. 7eur for 2TB.

Job done. Google sucks.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I still prefer OneDrive. I can use it to backup my photos from my iPhone automatically and I can save regular files there as well. I have over 1 TB Of storage that comes with my Office subscription.
Google Photos is clunky and screws with the resolution. Plus the whole “Google” aspect.
I don’t care for iCloud and I absolutely hate iPhoto.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Google Photos is clunky and screws with the resolution. Plus the whole “Google” aspect.

How is it clunky? In my experience it does its job very well and you can store as many photos and videos as you like, for free.

The resolution downscaling can be an issue if you need your photos off-screen, otherwise they still look fine.

For the “whole Google aspect”, you can always create a totally random Google account not even remotely related to your real name, address, date of birth, etc. and just use that for your photos. Even if some of your photos are then leaked by Google, people who know you will probably never find them.

Reactions: mistasopz

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
I still prefer OneDrive. I can use it to backup my photos from my iPhone automatically and I can save regular files there as well. I have over 1 TB Of storage that comes with my Office subscription.
I don’t care for iCloud and I absolutely hate iPhoto.
iPhoto went away a long time ago so you may want to educate yourself with the new tools and services and you probably will like them.
As to your 1TB OneDrive storage, you’re paying for it in your office subscription!
iCloud Drive is no different than OneDrive except it’s not from Microsoft, which I’ll admit is still more trustworthy than Google or Facebook!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
How is it clunky? In my experience it does its job very well and you can store as many photos and videos as you like, for free.

The resolution downscaling can be an issue if you need your photos off-screen, otherwise they still look fine.

For the “whole Google aspect”, you can always create a totally random Google account not even remotely related to your real name, address, date of birth, etc. and just use that for your photos. Even if some of your photos are then leaked by Google, people who know you will probably never find them.

You are still feeding a data mining ad company with your private content. What ever happened to “If you’re not liking something, don’t use it!”?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
You are still feeding a data mining ad company with your private content. What ever happened to “If you’re not liking something, don’t use it!”?

I am all for total freedom, just saying that if you use a dummy Google account your private content should be alright out there. Not a 100% safe, but hey, no data ultimately is.

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
How I continue to see any post where people make the same non-original comments about Google and their services:

[insert caveman voice]Google bad. Hmph. *beats chest repeatedly*[/caveman voice]

Reactions: cgaw23

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
How I continue to see any post where people make the same non-original comments about Google and their services:

[insert caveman voice]Google bad. Hmph. *beats chest repeatedly*[/caveman voice]

I’d turn this around and say that the constant reminders about what Google is are necessary. Google = good is such a silly thought.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
I’d turn this around and say that the constant reminders about what Google is are necessary. Google = good is such a silly thought.
No, it's dumb. Why? Because ALL major companies, Apple included, are using the data you provide them by using their products and services. Thinking otherwise is just naive and ignorant. So constantly going "Google is bad" just makes these people look like children.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
No, it's dumb. Why? Because ALL major companies, Apple included, are using the data you provide them by using their products and services. Thinking otherwise is just naive and ignorant. So constantly going "Google is bad" just makes these people look like children.

Apple doesn’t make a business from data mining. The other two have their main business in that exact field. Other services may just as well, but the more do it doesn’t make it any better.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Care to explain how did you get that price?

Thank you for your passive aggressive question.

Settings -> Tap my profile -> iCloud -> Manage Storage -> Change Storage Plan -> Select 2TB plan.

Apologies....I pay £6.99. I got my currencies confused :)

(I live in Spain so euros here, but my iTunes account is sterling as it's a UK account)

ETA: £6.99 is currently just 7.87 Euros.....so not far off ;)

Another addition to my answer....full pricing details for iCloud here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201238

Have a lovely day.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: tsukeyomi

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Convenient...

Least you can log out, hopefully, and will still continue..

Apple doesn’t make a business from data mining. The other two have their main business in that exact field. Other services may just as well, but the more do it doesn’t make it any better.

It doesn't have to be their business... at least not the main goal..like Google. To me, if its not on my own network, i haven't be doing my privacy right.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.