How to transfer apps fm MBA to rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmcnelly, Jun 21, 2012.

1. rmcnelly macrumors regular

I ordered a 2.6/512/16 rMBP and will be moving up from a 2011 MBA. Can I use my Time Capsule to do a restore to the new rMBP or will this cause problems?

2. satchow macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I did when updating from my 2011 MBP to the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Worked great.

3. rmcnelly thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Then it should be super easy!

4. Aksta macrumors regular

is it possible to transfer only some of the items across. for example i do not want to transfer all of my applications/documents but i don't want to delete them from my MBA as they will be needed by the next user.

5. rmcnelly thread starter macrumors regular

If you do a "restore" from Time Machine it wouldn't delete anything from the MBA. You could also just copy what you want and not move it from the old machine.

6. doh123 macrumors 65816

do not use Time Machine restore to your new Mac!

You will use the Time Machine backup, but you don't do a restore, you use Migration Assistant.

When you are first going through your new Mac after turning it on, it'll run Migration Assistant for you, and ask if you want to transfer files from an old Mac... or from a Time Machine backup. You can select it there and let it set up your machine. Its not technically doing a restore from Time Machine, but it will match up your machine and copy on as everything so its just like your old machine. If you skip this step and just start using your Mac, you can find Migration Assistant later in /Applications/Utilities... do NOT try to restore through Time Machine to a new machine, just use Migration Assistant.

If there are files you don't want, but you still want your machine to match really closely, then just let it to the full migration and the delete off the stuff you don't want.

7. rmcnelly thread starter macrumors regular

This is very helpful, thanks!

8. satchow macrumors 6502

Good information, this is what I did. I just didn't realize there was a difference between Migration Assistant and Time Machine restore.