How to Transfer Apps. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ForLovexOrMoney, Sep 25, 2009.

1. ForLovexOrMoney macrumors newbie

Ok so I just sold my BlackBook on eBay and I am gonna re install the OS. I just ordered a new MacBook Pro online but doesn't come in till a week from now.

So, is there a way I can get the apps from my BlackBook store them in a CDR or a external HD and them install them on my new computer???

Please help!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

applications, or iPhone apps? You don't have the program discs? or are they pirated?

3. ForLovexOrMoney thread starter macrumors newbie

Applications. Installed in my computer. I have the Mac Heist Bundle and other software that I downloaded from the internet none that have disks and no none are pirated.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

You should burn the downloaded installers for the apps to DVDs or CDs. Then install them on the new Mac, don't just copy the application folder.

More importantly, you should make sure you save the e-mail with the links & your licenses. All of the apps can be re-downloaded from the various developers' sites.

Personally, if I don't have the old Mac to transfer from using Set Up Assistant, I'd make a clone of the hard drive of the old Mac to an external drive using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Set Up or Migration Assistant will see that external as a source to transfer files & settings from. (Actually, I have a fresh clone of my system run every night, new Mac or not.)

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I second that--dig out the old email and redownload the installers of everything. For the ones that are just a serial number (not a special version) and include updates, this is a good opportunity to grab the installer of the latest versions. (Or, in the event there's been a paid version update since the bundle, the latest point release of whichever version you have a license to.)

I try to file a copy of everything's installer when I buy one of those bundles for exactly this reason, and although in most cases you COULD just copy the app that you're using to a DVDR, you'll usually need to enter the serial number again on the new Mac anyway. So, might as well make sure you get a clean, updated copy.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

I would do what others have said. On my Candy Bar and BBEdit, i keep the email that they sent me, so I can re-enter the serial when i reformat, which i just did...