How to transfer back up to new HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheeryble, Apr 2, 2012.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Hi from Chiangmai
    yes I've been stupid....but not ridiculously stupid.
    Despite my Time Machine on my Macbook telling me I hadn't backed up for 700 days or something I in fact did back up all or most of my data on Jan 1st this year when I got the firewire cable properly connected and let it do it's thing.

So, a few days ago I got a screen freeze and on reboot got the dreaded ?FOLDER? flashing.
    HD? I thought.....

Took it to the shop it was indeed the HD and the data from the old HD could not be accessed with Data Rescue.

I've decided that instead of sending for a big deal data recovery I'll suck up three months of lost data and get on with it, so I've replaced the HD and got 10.6.8 installed.
    HEre's the thing.
    Lots of settings are lost.
    Example my email is now in a tiny Helvetica. I know I can change it new but is it possible to just access my old settings from the backup disc?
    Much more noticeable and annoying is when i write an email it doesn't suggest the name when I write the first letter or two. I believe it does this from the address book whcih now is of course empty.
    So, what would be the best way to access and transfer data like this, and maybe keychains, bookmarks and anything else you can think I might need.

thanks in advance
    Cheeryble

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I've decided that instead of sending for a big deal data recovery I'll suck up three months of lost data and get on with it, so I've replaced the HD and got 10.6.8 installed."

I know this won't help to recover the data you've already lost, but...

If you'd been using CarbonCopyCloner (instead of Time Machine) to back up your drive, you would have been back up and running in the matter of about 3 minutes, with EVERYTHING on a "cloned backup" that was instantly readable in POFF (plain ol' finder format).

CCC will create a "clone" backup that looks EXACTLY like your internal drive.
    And you can BOOT FROM IT (shouting intentional). That means, if something, ANYthing goes wrong with your internal drive, you just plug in your backup, hit the restart button, hold down the option key (keep holding it down), and wait for the startup manager to appear.

You can then boot from the backup drive, and "work on" the problem with your internal drive.

CCC is free and available from:
    http://www.bombich.com
    One of the best pieces of Mac software "out there".

You already seen one time how Time Machine will "let you down" in a moment of great need.

Use CCC from now on, and this won't happen to you again!

3. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info Fisherman
    I've now transferred from my backup to the new HD using Migration Assistant....but it didn't autopredict in mail or give my old font or insert my bookmarks or give my old desktop or the prefs for those things.

So still wondering how to get that to happen if poss......

And funnily enough Carbon Copy Cloner is one of the programs I transferred form the backup......

Cheeryble