How to transfer data from a broken Mac pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxii, Jul 13, 2011.

1. maxii macrumors newbie

i got a broken macbook pro, early 2008 model which can not turn on caused by logic board problem. I just buy a new mac pro to replace it. Because the old one still have tone of documents and pictures I want to keep, I am going to the following steps:

1. take out the old hard drive from the broken pro, and take out the new hard drive from the new pro. Replace the old one to the new pro.

2. turn on the new pro,connect to a external hard and transfer the data.

3. lastly, put back the original hard drive.

now, there are some concern about the step 2: is it possible to turn on the new pro with the old hard drive because the old one has already been installed 10.6.7, and it might not recognize the new computer hardwares.

thank you so much for reply

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

You'd need to be running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on the hard disk from your old MacBook Pro (2008) in order to boot it from your new MacBook Pro (2011) because the latter simply doesn't contain the appropriate software (or "kernel extensions") for the new computer to boot properly.

Your best bet would be to purchase an external hard disk enclosure (they are very inexpensive), install your old hard disk into the enclosure, and then connect it to your new MacBook Pro and use Migration Assistant to migrate your data and preferences to the new computer.

Alternatively, you could simply connect the external hard disk after setting up your new MacBook Pro and use the Finder to drag and drop the documents and other files that you need.

Hope that helps, have a great day. :)

3. maxii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Kyzelios:D the enclosure would be the best option for me to do!