How to transfer data from damaged hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TitusVorenus, Mar 28, 2011.

1. TitusVorenus macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro (new as of March 2011) and 2 Western Digital hard drives.

One hard drive was dropped. It still functions but cannot be repaired by my computer. I can access some files but some are not accessible due to damage.

I want to transfer the remaining good files from the bad drive to the other drive which is new. I tried to drag and drop the data but every time it comes to a bad file the process stops.

How can I get my Macbook Pro to continue copying the good files and ignore those that cannot be repaired? I have all of my photo back up here so there are tens of thousands of files and it's impossible to sort through each folder.

Sorry if this is a redundant thread, I couldn't find another that dealt with this issue specifically.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I wouldn't attempt to try to access it anymore. Potentially that could cause the drive to become more damaged.

You need to contact a data recovery company.

3. TitusVorenus thread starter macrumors newbie

The disk is spinning fine with no noise. I'm traveling right now so taking this to a data recovery company is not an option. I just want a way/program to filter the good information from the unrecoverable and copy it to another disk.