How to transfer data from OLD Toshiba laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vikkimac, Jan 27, 2010.

1. vikkimac macrumors newbie

I've got and OLD Toshiba Satellite 2100 CDS running windows 95. It actually still works. I need to get some files off of it, it's got is one usb port, another port I don't recognize, a floppy drive, and a CD drive (can't burn).

I've tried just using a usb stick, but the Toshiba wants a driver to use it. I tried connecting to the internet with it through the usb, but it also wants a driver for that. This computer is set up for connection through dial up only. I don't have a modem capable of dial up.

Could I get a usb to usb cord and somehow get the files off that way? Or will the Toshiba balk at that too?

Any input appreciated! :)

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

wow. that is crazy!

Um, what might work as well ( I don't have experience in something exactly like you describe) is going to like newegg or amazon (frys, etc) and buying one of the hard drive cradles http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816009. I am assuming that would work fine for what you need..

Not necessarily that exact one, but something like that..

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Free transfer at apple store

Make genius bar appointment

4. vikkimac thread starter macrumors newbie

They'll do this even if I didn't purchase my mac form there?
    That would be cool.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Amen to that. In fact, that is exactly what I did - not through an actual "genius" but instead thanks to the extremely knowledgeable chap who sold the MBP to me - when I needed to transfer everything from the Toshiba I got in 2003 when I bought my MBP in 2008.

Cheers and good luck