How to transfer data from S1 to S3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Vell843, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Vell843, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

I currently have a S1 and I am thinking of getting a S3 (non LTE). Will all of my setting, data, and achievements transfer over to S3? If so how easy is it?

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

You just backup it which should backup when you charge. Basically like on your iPhone and when setting on your new watch just click backup

3. KrisLord macrumors 65832

Unpairing creates a backup and wipes the watch.

When you pair the new watch, it’ll ask if you want to restore a previous watch.

When your daughter pairs with her iPhone, it won’t find any backup on her account so will be setup as new.

4. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

When you unpair your S1 from your phone it will perform a final backup and when you set up your new watch it will allow you to restore from this.
    That part will take care of all your settings, apps and setting up Apple Pay again.
    Each time the phone is paired with a watch, even the same one, it will create a new 'Source' profile and will store all of it's health and activity data against that source (see sources in the Health app) - you won't lose any activity information or health information as long as you don't delete that pairing. All your workouts and achievements across all these sources will appear in the same place in the Activity app of course.
    There seems to be no way of squashing or merging these sources so if you end up having to re pair with the watch several times you will end up with more and more of them

5. Vell843 thread starter macrumors regular

Vell843

So do I unpair my S1 before I set up my S3?

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

To be on the safe side, back up the phone first, then unpair the watch etc. and proceed with setting up the new watch.

7. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

Yes, unpairing takes a while because it will take a full backup which you will be able to select when you pair the new watch :)