How to transfer data on rmb

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yano729, Apr 17, 2015.

1. yano729 macrumors member

Hey what's up everyone, I was wondering if anyone has a solution to this. So I have a new MacBook and want to transfer all the data from my iMac to the MacBook so that they are pretty much duplicate machines. I have migration assistant running now over wifi and it says it going to take 84 hours. I bought a usb c to usb a connected so I could hook up the back up HDD that I use for time machine up to it, but I'm afraid the batter would run out before it completed the transfer because I can't charge and use the usb at the same time. Also the multifunction dongle for charging and the usb because it's not for sale yet. This is making me second my purchase because I can see this being a problem down the road.

2. unibility macrumors 6502

Using your USB-3 port. Oh wait... :D

3. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my wife's MacBook Air to an external USB 3 drive. Then I connected that drive to the USB-C port using the adapter and ran Migration Assistant on the 12" Retina MacBook. It took 45 minutes to migrate about 250GB of stuff so had plenty of battery power left.

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

5. doboy macrumors 68000

I imagine using a full charged rMB would be sufficient to transfer <256GB/512GB data using USB 3.0. IF you are still concerned, turn screen to the lowest setting or even off during transfer.