How to transfer email from 10.6 HD to 10.7 HD?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Noctilux.95, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

I just added an SSD HD on my Mac Pro and installed 10.7 Lion. I wanted to get a fresh start so I did not attempt migration.
    I would love to know how I can transfer my email from my previous HD (still on my Mac) to the new one.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What kind of account is it? If it's an IMAP account it should download all the messages in your various mailboxes automatically.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I believe you can do it manually. You'd need to copy the keychains, the folders in ~/Library/Mail and ~/Library/Mail Downloads and Mail preferences from your ~/Library/Preferences.

This can be faster depending on how much mail you've got.

And make sure you've got a good backup AND be aware that messing with mail is a bit different from other stuff, in that changes you make to an IMAP account will propagate into the cloud where the mail is stored on the server. So if you screw up you can appear to Gmail or whatever to be making changes that it should pay attention to...like deleting stuff. This can create a bit of havoc, so be careful if you decide to go this route.

Migration is a safer route, as is recreating boxes from you IMAP accounts (although that doesn't help with locally stored stuff).

Rob