Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Russian Doll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Hello all. I'm new to the mac. I've used it here and there at my university, but overall, I've always been familiar with windows, and will continue to use it on my laptop. However, I have just purchased a new iMac.

I would like to know how to transfer all my emails from my PC to my Mac. I am currently using Windows Live Mail and have a lot of important emails on my PC which I must transfer over into my Mac. I don't know how to go about doing this, and would appreciate any help.

Also, I have many .doc files (from Microsoft Word - Office). If I copy those into my Mac, will they work just fine with the Mac Office software?

Finally, I would like to know if anyone has any sites they can suggest I read and look over that have FAQs about transferring from a PC to a Mac.

Thank you all. I hope the move is smooth! *keeps fingers crossed*

Sigur

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
First of all, congratulations on your new Computer! You will have lots of fun with it.

I don't know about the emails but the Word documents should work just fine. It depends on which version you've been using under Windows.

You can find a nice guide for switchers on the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

catachip

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Vancouver, British Columbia
What program do you use to read mail on your Windows PC? There are a number of different solutions to get them transfered, which depend on what your using.

As for your .doc files, do you have Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac? Or, what software have you installed on your Mac? You will need Apple's iWork or Microsoft's Office 2008 for Mac to open those files.

eluk

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2006
East London, UK
…
As for your .doc files, do you have Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac? Or, what software have you installed on your Mac? You will need Apple's iWork or Microsoft's Office 2008 for Mac to open those files.

Rubbish! NeoOffice or Open Office will do fine and for free. Text Edit will also open them, but lose the formatting.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Rubbish! NeoOffice or Open Office will do fine and for free. Text Edit will also open them, but lose the formatting.

The OP did ask if they will open in MS Office, so presumably they have the Mac version. Pages also opens DOC files and will even open the XML formatted files.

No offense to your post, but I'm not a fan of NeoOffice. It is slow loading and has a PC-like interface.

Russian Doll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
What program do you use to read mail on your Windows PC? There are a number of different solutions to get them transfered, which depend on what your using.

On Windows PC I am currently using Windows Live Mail. I don't care so much about my hotmail, as I am assuming that can be accessed via internet on any computer, including the Mac....its my other email, my POP3 that I want to transfer over to the Mac. And for that, I am also using Windows Live Mail.

If I simply save all the emails onto a DVD, can I just put them into my Mac later on or will I have to convert them/do something special?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.