how to transfer files b/n pc and mac on external?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, May 27, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you video folks have come across the following:

I need or would like to have an external hard drive connected to a pc (a colleague's pc so not over a network).

He needs to transfer some avi files from windows to this external and then I would like to connect the external back to my mac to transfer the files.

When i'm ultra busy with my video transfers, I outsource the transfer of 8mm reel to my colleague.

I know we can theoretically do this with fat32, but it has a file restriction of 4 GBs I believe and an hour of video is around 13 GBs so that won't work.

Does anyone know of a way to get this done? is there software that will allow it?

cheers
    keebler

2. -DH macrumors 65816

If your college installs MacDrive on his Windows system, he will be able to read/write to a drive formatted for Macs. Format the external drive as Mac OS Extended.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

-DH

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks DH. I appreciate it.
    i think i'm going to format the external as ntfs and install macdrive on my macs.
    Reason being is he uses a variety of computers and I wouldn't want him to install
    macdrive everywhere.
    hopefully, that should work.

4. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Format it as FAT32 or you won't get to write to it on the Mac, since Macs can't write NTFS. If you format the drive on the Mac to FAT32, it won't tell you the drive is too big for it.

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

hi max,

i think this program DH told me about goes around the fat32 issue allowing a proper ntfs drive to be read on a mac.

Cheers,
    Keebler

6. -DH macrumors 65816

MacDrive should only install and run on Windows systems. It's written for Windows so they'll be able to read/write to Mac formatted drives (Mac OS Extended). I could be wrong, but I don't believe it works the other way around.

-DH

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

8. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks DH and ftaok,

I'll be researching this on the weekend and will post results back.

It looks like DH is right about macdrive, but paragon has a solution (although some ppl have issues) and lastly, there is macfuse and ntfs-3g.

Cheers,
    Keebler

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

just wanted to follow up and say thanks folks.

I ended up using Paragon's ntfs for mac. Used the 10 day trial and will be buying the full version. Works like a charm.

I formatted it NTFS and it appears and functions just like a mac drive. perfecto.

Cheers,
    Keebler