How to transfer files between two macs using Firewire?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by orbitalpunk, Aug 12, 2007.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I read this was possible but i've looked all over and cant fine a guide to it. I dont wanna share the internet, just transfer files with firewire 800. if anyone could help me out or link me to a guide, that would be great.

thanks

2. jinny1 macrumors member

I just did this with my new macbook. A few screens after the welcome it asks if you want to transfer files from an old Mac via firewire. I just connected the cable, restarted the old machine holding down the "T" key and it started the transfer right away.
    It was great.
    I don't know how to get to that screen if the computer as alrady been set up.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The OP is talking about an actual network. So, I found this page useful.

4. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

I think you are looking for Migration Assistant. It is under
    Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant. Or shift+command+u.

5. rajfantastic macrumors member

rajfantastic

just connect your macs with a firewire cable, restart the slave and hold down T. it will mount as a disk on your desktop.

6. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Connecting Mac's together should be the easiest thing you can do. Have you tried just connected them together with the cable, and in Finder going to the Go menu and Connect to Server, then type in the name of the other computer (for example, I've named mine cat, so connecting to me would be cat.local) and then hitting connect. I've done that with two Mac's connected with ethernet, I would assume it's the same as with FW 800? No restarting computers involved.

7. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Pretty much what other people are saying, hold T at startup to activate Target Disk Mode from the computer you want to transfer the data from. That's Steve Jobs' gift to mac users and has gotten me out of a lot of jams.

8. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Why does one of the Macs need to be started in target disc mode? Can't you just connect them and pull up the go/connect to server menu option and type in the local address ___.local?

9. devman macrumors 65816

devman

yes you can. You'll have to enable file sharing or some other service to do anything over the connection.