How to transfer files from MacBook to iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stuart2102, Apr 24, 2013.

1. stuart2102 macrumors regular

stuart2102

it has been a month of puzzle for me on how am i going to transfer files from my macbook pro to ipad, it can i only transfer from ipad to my macbook but if i will transfer from my macbook to ipad it doest work i cant even drag the files, like applications or video files. i try to used xilisoft ipad magic platinum but still i didnt work.

2. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

You have to add the files to your iTunes library first, then sync with your iPad. You also have to set up your iPad in iTunes so that it will sync video files.

3. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Oh i dont need any third party applications...hmm...yeah i try before using itunes but im just a bit confuse how to do it anyway thanks for this i try....

4. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

You have to use iTunes, yes. iTunes keeps a database over all your files, and you can select more specifically in the iPad setup (still in iTunes) which files to keep on your iPad. iTunes will then copy the files for you automatically when you connect (i.e. when iTunes synchronizes your iPad with the media library)

5. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

how would i see that my files are in my itunes library? can we view to that in my macbook even if there is no ipad connected yet?

6. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Yes, you can view it even with no iPad connected.

Here is how to add the files: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1473

7. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

oh yeah the instruction about options either mac or windows it not on the list is it automatic to in mac right away?

Attached Files:

8. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

I try to check wither my files was been put into the itunes library but i cant find hehehe how woud i do that? just to be sure that it was put in there...

9. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

You should see a horizontal bar where you can choose music, video, etc. in your library. When you click one of the categories, you should see the files.

What happens when you connect the iPad? Does iTunes copy the files over?

10. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

i dont have the ipad yet its in my friends ipad so my only concern is can we see my files that was put on my itunes library? just to be sure if all files was there and ready to share it in ipad...

11. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Yes, you can see the media files that are added to the library, and even play them in iTunes.

12. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

yeah i saw it in youtube but with iphone or ipad attach in macbook, but with out ipad, iphone my view on itune is this only

Attached Files:

13. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

It's perfectly normal.
    What you are seeing is just your iTunes library (eBooks, Movies, Music, Apps, Podcasts), and what DesertEagle meant is that you can play some of those items via iTunes (on your PC/Mac), like Movies and Music.

Now, when you connect an iDevice, then you get to its "personal" space, where you choose what to share and what not to. If you had WiFi sync enabled (you have to connect the device via USB in order to enable it), and your iDevice was in reach (connected to same WiFi network, etc), then you could potentially see it there (its personal space) without the need to connect it via USB, but that's another thing.

So, to resume, what you see is what you should see and it's not weird that once you connect the device (iPad via USB) then iTunes shows a new "tab" at the left with the device's "personal space".
    If you perform a sync, once you have selected items on it's personal space, and the sync finished successfully, you can be sure, your media (whatever you decided to share) will be on your iDevice (iPad in this case).

14. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Oh yeah just now i try to connect my friends ipad to my macbook and yes it works i can transfer files from my computer to her ipad, thanks uhmm about wifi and bluetooth? how did it works? like im working before with my imac and i transfer files to my macbook thru bluetooth and it works, but in ipad it doesnt, what is the use of bluetooth of ipad? and wifi thing to share files macbook to ipad? hmmm how does it work?

15. kaielement macrumors 65816

Another good tip if you ever have questions about how to do anything is to use YouTube.com I use it all the time and its great because its videos and you can actually see someone doing it and not just read something that may be confusing.

16. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Well, bluetooth on the iPad is primarily to allow peripherals, like headsets or keyboards. Not everything will work of course (like only some iPad-made controllers).
    You can transfer files via the iPad and a Mac/PC using an app (usually a combo of an app on your computer and another app on the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch). A good example would be the famous bump.
    However, as you know, this is not as "easy" as transferring from a computer to another computer, since there is no such as thing as a "filesystem" on iOS, from the end user point of view.
    So you would transfer files and then you would require, an app that can "read" the file format of the file you just transferred (eg. a PDF reader, a PPT reader, a ZIP handler) and supports being called via URIs (just a technical term but it's basically the app registering against the operating system saying "Hey, everytime the user tries to open a file that ends with XXX extension, then show me up in the list of available apps to open that file".
    That and the fact the file would be twice on your device (once on the bump app -example- and once in the PDF app).
    If you try and transfer music you can get around playing it, but not through the regular ipod (music) app, and so on.

So in this case, we also have WiFi. When you connect a device, you can tick the option "Sync with this [device] over Wi-Fi", and then you can sync with iTunes without USB (have in mind this option is a hit and miss, sometimes it fails and it seems Apple has filed to get it straight for all users). The sync usually happens 24 hours after your last sync (via USB in case it's your first time) and if your device is being charged. if you miss a day then it doesn't matter it has the intelligence to just sync whenever the device is in the same Wi-Fi network and is charging and 24 hours already past from the last sync (but like I said, sometimes it just stops working).

With all of the last paragraph written, you can see what I meant by Wi-Fi was only for synching with iTunes (instead of using the "clunky" USB cable).
    Now, what if you want to share files? Same thing as with bluetooth, but you just need to find an app that can transfer via Wi-Fi, like this one (that works only for photos, and since, apps can access your camera roll then this app can put the photos there and then you can open the regular "photos app". This doesn't happen for Movies nor Music, since those are read-only on iOS).

17. documents-me macrumors newbie

Transfer photos and other files to iPad from Mac

There are many ways to do this and doing iTunes way is one old fashioned way that works but requires way too much skill.

Another way is to transfer to cloud drives like Dropbox and then read it off that

The third way is to use applications like ours called Documents.Me wherein you install an agent on the Mac and then all files show up on your iPad and whichever one you need locally just download it to your iPad or iPhone over a wireless connection.

18. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

hmmm...documents.me? wireless connection? so meaning both of them must have internet or need? and both of them has its own application of documents.me as well?

19. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

From their website
    Meaning you don't need internet as long as both Mac/iPad are in the same LAN.

And also you download their iOS app, and the OS X counterpart ("server").

20. Joycer, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

Joycer macrumors newbie

You can use TransPod, available from the appstore at $25. Either of these enable you to connect to and browse Macs or PCs on the network, and other computers can browse the iPad. Files can be transferred to and from the iPad. I purchased imac last weekend and my iPad 2 appears as a share in Finder on my MBP. It also appears in Network on my Windows desktop PC.

The publisher of imac has another product, Desktop Connect, which allows you to make VPN connections from the iPad.

21. kelvinzhou1000 macrumors newbie

Transferring Data within apple devices

You might use the icloud and launch it into the normal transferring procedures. Moreover, you might use iTunes to transfer files within all apple electronic devices.

22. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Excuse my possible ignorance, I thought Airdrop was supposed to do something like that , I've been trying to send a few photos from my Air to iPad or the other way around and AirDrop won't pick anything up Am I missing something here? or does it not work with those devices or am I using it wrong?

23. pdjudd macrumors 601

Airdrop on the Mac is not the same as on your iOS device

24. westallen, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

westallen macrumors newbie

You can also send the photos of camera roll or other photo albums from your Mac onto your iPad via email then save the images there. Works great for those of us who choose not to use iTunes.
    Not only do you want to transfer files from Mac to iPad, try another iTunes alternative tool, FonePaw iOS Transfer.