How to transfer files from my PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TaylorDog, May 16, 2007.

1. TaylorDog macrumors newbie

I'm about to finally switch over to Mac, and was wondering what the best way to transfer some of my files over will be? Can I just grab them over my wireless network? There must be a better way than burning them onto CDs, which will take forever! I can't wait for the Mac though...

Also, is there some guide I should read to make the transition easier (I've been a PC user for 15 years). I'm pretty tech savvy and was thinking spending some time with it, along w/ online resources, should get me going pretty well.

2. Angrist macrumors 6502

How many and what type of files are we talking about here?

Word Docs? Pictures? Music?

You can transfer over a network, wired or wireless without too much hassle. But if you've got an external hard drive thats a little bit easier.

3. TaylorDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Around 100 Word docs, then maybe 15 gigs worth of music, movies and pics.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wireless will definitely work fine, but at 802.11g speeds, it will take a significant amount of time (probably 5-8 hours) to transfer 15 gigs of information. If you plug in via wire to the ethernet router, it'll be faster. Otherwise you could certainly do this overnight wirelessly.

In terms of speed from faster to slower:
    - Use a firewire cable to do the transfer (probably 10-15 minutes)
    - Use an ethernet cable to do the transfer (probably also under 30 min)
    - Use a memory stick (if you have one that's in the 4-8 gigs range, probably around 1 hour or less)
    - Use a wireless network to do the transfer (around 5-8 hours)
    - Use CDs or DVDs (god knows)

I personally would not go for the last option. The media themselves, unless it's all rewritable, will cost you more than the memory stick or one of the cables.

5. bld44 macrumors 6502

Sending via wireless will be slower than using an ethernet cord. And I highly doubt his laptop has a firewire cord. Take an ethernet cord, plug one end into the back of the laptop, the other into your mac, enable file sharing on your laptop and just find the files on your mac. Best way to do it, IMO.

6. TaylorDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Will a "regular" ethernet cable work though, directly connected from my old laptop to the Mac? I forget the proper name, but I know some of the ethernet cables have the wires switched around for direct connecting. Thanks for all the info!

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

You need a crossover cable to do this, as opposed to a patch cable.

I recommend just hooking both machines to your router with normal ethernet cables, share files on your PC, and grab them from your mac.

8. TaylorDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Crossover, that's it! I think I'll do exactly what you all have suggested and just plug both computers into the router. Now I need to decided which MacBook to order... I'm going to pull the trigger from Amazon tonight and can't decide if I should get the older model (2 ghz white) for 1075 after rebate or the newer one (2.16 ghz white) for 1200 after rebate. I'm not sure if it's worth $125 for 166 mhz and 40 gb hd space.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well let's see...

1.25 MB/s ~ 3.41 hours

5 MB/s ~ 0.85 hours

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've seen a wireless network sustain five mega*bits* per second... I've never seen 802.11g sustain 5 megabytes / second.... I realize that's within theoretical spec... I've just never had experience of transfers that fast, especially sustained over 15 gigs.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This might be a wonderful time to backup your data to DVD/CD, or to an external Hard Drive.

You kill two birds with one stone, copy your data for easy transfer and back it up at the same time.

If you go the USB Thumb Drive route, be sure to get a fast one. I use both and the transfer speeds are much different between the normal USB2 and a fast USB2 Thumb Drive. In my case almost 50% faster.

12. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I would back it up all your files onto an external hard drive like the LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface, with USB 2 for connection to the PC to upload your files onto.

Then disconnect the drive from the PC and connect to the Mac using 1394B (firewire b)connection. You then have all your files already backed up.

You would then just copy your files onto your Mac.

The drive would have to be formatted using fat 32, which you can do that from within the disk utility on your Mac.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had my Airport Express sustain around 5 MB/s when I'm the only client.

14. bld44 macrumors 6502

Any standard ethernet cord will work provided both computers have an ethernet port. No router necessary.

15. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

All modern macs don't need crossover cables those are thing of the past. The mac ethernet ports are auto sensing. Most PCs are too these days.

16. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Ah, well i guess my age is showing then...it's been a while since I've worried with networking stuff :p

17. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Can you consolidate all of your data onto one of the PC's hard drives, then put that hard drive in your mac, transfer files over to the mac formatted HD drive via SATA, then reformat the PC-derived HD?

18. Winterfell macrumors regular

It wouldn't be so slow transferring over the network if Windows wasn't ass-slow at networking.

Wireless should be fine -- I don't think it would take five hours either way, but ethernet is probably your best bet unless you have a decent-sized thumbdrive.

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

No problems common mistake. ;)

20. Wintermoon macrumors newbie

I've got a few questions:

I just bought my macbook.
    1.) I'm going to connect the two computers together via an ethernet cable. Once I connect them, then what do I do? lol. Step by step please, I've never created a network before.
    2.) I know my macbook doesn't require a crossover cable, but can I still use one? Right now it's more convenient for me to use a crossover cable than a regular cable, so I'm wondering if it will still work.

Thanks a lot!