How to transfer from iPhoto 6 to 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by myuserid08, Mar 19, 2008.

1. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to transfer from my iMac which is running 10.4 and running iPhoto 6 to my macbook which is running 10.5 and iPhoto 7.
    I would like to transfer all the photos over to the macbook, I thought it would be a simple process of moving the "iPhoto Library" folder over to the macbook, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    The new iPhoto seems to use 1 file, which when I click on goes to iPhoto. iPhoto 6 uses a folder and stores the photos within.
    I'm now stuck and dont know what to do, is there an import/export option I'm missing?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try Import Library from iPhoto 7's File menu and selecting iPhoto 6's library.

i honestly can remember how i did it. i think when i updated to iLife '08 the iPhoto installer took care of it all. but you will have to do it manually as you are transferring to a Mac that has iPhoto 7 from a Mac that has iPhoto 6.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You should be able to copy it over as normal, when iPhoto 7 launches it should "upgrade" your iPhoto database.

4. myuserid08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, well I transfered the iPhoto library folder from the iMac and replaced the single file on the macbook, started iPhoto and it upgraded the library/folder to the single file.
    I have a slight problem with that, I take photos of items I'm selling, download from digital camera into iPhoto. I then upload to my website by browsing the iPhoto Library folder. How do I do that now seen as apple have decided to change from a browsable folder to none browsable library file?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

From iPhoto just drag the picture you want to upload out to your desktop. This will create a copy of the picture (exactly the same as the original) which you can easily browse for and upload.

btw, the single file v7 uses isn't really a single file. You can right click it and select Show Package Contents, it's really nothing more than a folder, it just behaves differently when you click it normally.