how to transfer iPhone back up to another computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tuna9720, Jul 18, 2014.

1. tuna9720, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

tuna9720 macrumors regular

I have to delete and restore my computer and I have a few old iPhone backups that I need to take with me. When I open iTunes preferences, under devices I can see my backups. I also know where these backups are located in the computer (C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\)..

Here is the plan; I will drag and drop those folders in the backup folder to an external hdd. Re-install OS. And put those folders in the same exact directory on the fresh OS. The question is, are they going to appear in the iTunes backups again?

I have seen people suggesting this but couldn't find a feedback. Can anyone please confirm If tried and succeeded with this method?

Thank you.

Ps: I'm on Windows 7, but I'm sure the process would be the same on any PC.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

They should if it's a valid, healthy backup. I've moved my backup location to a different drive and it's a simple matter of just copying them over.

Be sure to de-authorize iTunes before you wipe or reinstall the OS so you don't burn one of your activations.

You can also move your library to the new install by copying it to the external HDD and back. That way you won't have to restore your phone.

One more thing, also make an iCloud backup. ;)