How to transfer itunes library onto external HD while KEEPING some on my internal HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jonnyb193, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jonnyb193 macrumors newbie

Hey MacRumours! I understand how to move the whole library onto an external HD, moving the media folder location on itunes preferences etc, but say i wanted to move the library (which is about 60 gigs) to my external HD but keep about 10 gigs on my internal drive? How do I do this, assuming the amount i want to keep is too large to manually drag and drop each song/album fro my external drive onto my internal one.

Also my itunes says my library is about 52 gigs, but in finder it says my songs are about 65 gigs, why is this and how can i delete the extra gigs? I'm in Home/Music/Itunes/Itunes Music incase thats the wrong location.

Thanks and by the way this is my first post so not sure if i'm in the right place asking this question, so yeah sorry if its in the wrong section.

Cheers guys and hi everybody!:)

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check out the neighboring thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11631926&postcount=7

You pretty much have to turn off iTunes' automatic media handling to do that and manage things manually. Depending on how many files we are talking about you may just be able to move individual files/folders and relink to them in iTunes.

B