How to transfer old email messages to new MBP? please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

My new MBP is set to arrive any day and before I get rid of my old powerbook, I would like to transfer all the email messages in Apple Mail to my new MBP. I tried this once before but clearly didn't get it right so if you know how to get the entire message intact and can explain it to me, I would really be appreciative.

2. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

hopefully someone is able to help with an answer to this, thanks.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Use Migration Assistant. That's what it's there for.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Or if you're wanting to do it manually, copy across the Mail folder from your Home library to the equivalent spot on the new machine, whilst Mail is closed. Do the same for your Mail-related preferences in the Home folder's Preference folder too. :)

5. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

sorry, let me be more specific. Apple is replacing my old powerbook which has had numerous serious problems and since they don't have powerbooks anymore, they were kind enough to provide me with a brand new MBP. Pretty awesome huh. But in order to send it out to me, they have to have received my powerbook's tracking number, i.e., it will be in the mail.

so i would transfer the mail folder in library and the mail prefs folder in prefs right?

taking into account the situation i just described, can i transfer these files to an external hard drive for storage and then drop them into the new machine as you suggested?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep, that should be fine with the external drive. The PowerBook's running Tiger, right?

Alternatively, you could use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of your drive on the external and then use Migration Assistant to retrieve your data form it with the MacBook Pro. This option may be safer as a form of backup for all your files.

7. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am running tiger yes. nice story though MJ don't ya think?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, fantastic story. You're one lucky bastard! :D

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Nice story, similar thing happened to me with an 17" iMac G5 1Gb, except I got a refund which went into 20" Core 2 Duo 2Gb Ram (oddly enough almost the exact same price as the G5 give or take £40)