How to transfer or migrate user from one iMac to a new one?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 212rikanmofo, Jun 21, 2014.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I have a 27 iMac, and me and my gf have 2 separate accounts. She just bought her own new iMac and I would like to migrate all her apps, settings, etc to the new mac so that I can remove her account off mines. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Would be copying just her home folder to an external HDD and then copying it to the new iMac work? Or is there more steps involved? I would hate to have to install and configure all the apps and etc again. So if I can get away with all this by copying her entire home folder from my iMac to the new one then that would be the most quickest and convenient way for me.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Use Migration Assistant and uncheck your user account so it won't transfer that. All apps and other stuff will transfer over and she will be set up just as she was on the old system.

You can migrate over a cable (Thunderbolt, ethernet) between the two machines if possible. Otherwise, make a fresh clone or TimeMachine backup of the old computer and use that to load to the new computer.

When you are confident that her system is set up properly, you can delete her account on your computer in SystemPreferences/Users at your convenience.