How to transfer photos from iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sudee, Jun 4, 2010.

1. sudee macrumors newbie

I downloaded about 2500 photos on to my iPad from my camera while on vacation. When I tried to transfer them to my desktop, iPhoto continually shut down and did not complete the transfer. After several hours on the phone with Apple support, I was told to try a 3rd party software program. Any suggestions?

2. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Lots of views but no one has replied. I don't think many of us have that accessory. Hopefully you still have the photos on your camera. Sucks, dude. Sorry.

3. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Jailbreak and grab all your photos from the photos folder via SSH.

4. Cenobite macrumors newbie

Try PhoneView: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/.
    You could also try to connect your iPad an a Windows PC. Windows should recognize your iPad as a camera and let you browse the DCIM folder.

5. iRabbit macrumors 6502

Can Image Capture on OSX do the same thing?

Maybe Dropbox would let you copy the files over?

6. Cuechick macrumors 6502

Cuechick

Adobe light room might work and it is an excellent editing program. I use it in conjunction with Photoshop. I think you can sample it free and see if it works. Have it open when you plug in your iPad and then follow the prompts.

7. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I had the same issue with 1800 raw photos I was trying to get off. I used Lightroom 3 w/o issue.

8. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Image Capture --Free and On your Mac

Image Capture comes with your Mac, is free, and will do what you need. It will recognize the iPad as a device and you can browse and select the images you want or do them all. If it is bombing out with all, do them in batches.

I don't know why more folks don't know about this great little core application? And, it is criminal Apple Support didn't know about it.

9. Cuechick macrumors 6502

Cuechick

That is a good solution, assuming the OP's desktop is a Mac.

10. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

OP is using iPhoto so I'm assuming so ... ;)

11. sudee thread starter macrumors newbie

Image Capture

I have tried Image Capture and it doesn't work because it shuts down before completing the transfer. I'll try some of the other suggestions.

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Image Capture is OK, for a few small photos. For me, I had ~2000 raw images, each 22-27 MB in size for a total of ~50 GB and several gig sized movies made on the camera. In this context, at least for me, the Apple tools (iPhoto and Image Capture) failed miserably. This is what my status bar looked like before the images were erased.

Attached Files:

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You can copy photos this way via Dropbox. I would use it as a last resort, however. It would take some time.

Good luck.

14. tinyrouter macrumors newbie

tinyrouter

You can upload your photos to Photobucket (they have a free app), and then download them from there on your computer.

15. Noli macrumors newbie

Adobe Bridge

I used Adobe Bridge to move my iPad pictures (almost 4,000) to my PC. Worked quite nicely, quickly.

16. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that there is a bad file for one of the images. Try using image capture as suggested above and transferring in batches of maybe 100 photos at a time till you see it crash. Then you can narrow it down to the bad file.

17. Nuttawut macrumors newbie

Image Capture comes with your Mac, is free, and will do what you need. It will recognize the iPad as a device and you can browse and select the images you want or do them all. If it is bombing out with all, do them in batches.

I don't know why more folks don't know about this great little core application? And, it is criminal Apple Support didn't know about it.

Thanks.
    Brilliant. Worked like a charm. Didn't know about this.

18. dekoder macrumors newbie

dekoder

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Did you try importing them in smaller batches instead of everything at once?