How to transfer pics/files from old PC to new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wills.Details, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Wills.Details macrumors member

I've read in a few other posts that there is a way to transfer files from my PC to my new MBP. I'd just like to know the best way to do this...i don't have an ether net cord other than the one i use for my router....so if i could do this wirelessly or in some other quick and easy method that would be nice.

My PC is about 3 years old, a Toshiba and runs Windows 7. I have NO clue how to set up wireless networks though...tried it once before and ended up just being frustrating and i said screw it.

Help is appreciated. Thanks

2. nicklasmp macrumors member

watching closely here - i will have to do the same process tomorrow when i recieve my new Mac. However i have severeal cables for use and 3 external harddrives; however they're not in the right format for mac. However i have a clean 2 TB external hdd for my use, can i do anything smart with that?

Another question; can i access my windows formatted hdd if i install bootcamp on my mac?

sorry for stealing your thread! :)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use the Windows Migration Assistant to do what you want. As long as the two machines are on the same network, it can be done wirelessly. If you have a lot of data to move this may take some time.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I just set up both on the same network and copied over. However, if setting up WiFi was too much hassle for you it's not a relevant solution. Good luck with it.

How do you intend to use your MBP without WiFi?

Since you'd be running Windows under Bootcamp, yes -- under Windows.

5. nicklasmp macrumors member

Say i copy those files from my extern hdd to windows then, will i then be able to acces those files via OS X? sorry it might be a stupid question - but will recieve my first Mac later TODAY and i have whatsoever no experience with it.

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes, the quickest way will be to use a USB3 external hard drive. Either back up your windows to it or just take the drive out of your old computer and shove it in the USB3 chassis. OSX can read drives formatted as FAT-32 quite happily.

Alternatively, Use something like MuCommander and transfer over the files you need as you want them. I'm taking the opportunity to reorganise all my files as they are getting a bit of a mess, so I've set up a new folder structure on my MBPr and am gradually transferring files and folders over. It'll take time, but I hope to end up with a really neat structure of files.

I have also ordered new black turtle-necks...

7. Wills.Details thread starter macrumors member

wow the black turtle necks part caught my eye lol :D