How to transfer pictures from PC to iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Aesthete18, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Aesthete18 macrumors newbie

Okay, so I'm helping my mom transfer some photos from her vacations, I know you connect usb cable>iTunes>iPad>Photos>Choose folder>sync and done right? That's what everything online says. Problem is, when I transfer the pictures from the next folder the original ones get replaced.

Why are Apple products so impractical, I can't do anything without having to look up help. I mean for another app I had to open ports and stuff just to create a folder for organizing my comics.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I agree, photo management in general with Apple products is done in a stupid way. I've just learned to deal with it.

In your case can you try syncing the parent folder for all of the photos? The way it works (I'm pretty sure) is you pick one "Photos" folder that may have sub-folders in it. Then sync.

It may be easier to use a Dropbox account, put the photos in there and then just view the pics using the Dropbox app. Though you only get a 2gb limit.

3. Aesthete18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. That's pretty dumb for something as important as photos that they've made it so difficult. I'm transffering from a pen drive at the moment, so the pen drive is the parent folder, what happens if I wanna transfer something from my PC next time? Does the pen drive photos get deleted? And even if I put the new pictures into the pen drive and then transfer (which is already a hassle in itself) do I have to sync the older pictures as well again?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You are thinking "copy." iTunes is thinking "sync."

iTunes aims to keep things the same between the computer and the iPad. So yes, if you change things on the computer side, then it deletes the pictures from the iPad and starts over.

The way to do this is to pick a folder on your computer to be a permanent place to keep pictures you want to sync to your iPad. Copy any pictures you want on your iPad to this folder, then sync. That way it won't delete old pictures when you want to add new ones.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have my own words for it. Their attempts to make things "easy" goes against what everyone already does, thus making it stupid.

6. Aesthete18 thread starter macrumors newbie

So every time I want to add a new album in, I've got to sync all the previous albums again? Even syncing 70 pics took a good minute and a half, imagine 1000.

I don't understand why people even buy it, aside from people who really know how to utilize it technically, like artists and what not.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The syncing, initially, makes thumbnails and other junk for viewing on your devices.

When you're doing this on a Mac you have your iPhoto library which holds everything, so it's not as painful as on a PC. But that said, I haven't synced my iPad with a PC before so I don't know what unknowns lie out that.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not if you always sync from the same folder. You set up one folder to be the "sync to iPad" folder, you can make subfolders within that folder if you want. You sync, all the pictures that are currently in the folder (and any subfolders) are copied to the iPad. Then, if you later add new pictures and sync again, only the newly added pictures need to be copied over.

9. Aesthete18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, not so bad then. Thank you and thanks everyone else for the help.