How To Transfer Text Message Log from old iPhone to new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeneticFreak84, May 9, 2011.

1. GeneticFreak84 macrumors regular

Is there an easy way to transfer my text message logs from my black IP4 to my white IP4 via iTunes?

When I upgraded from 3G to IP4 the Apple clerk transferred my contacts, pictures, and text message logs. However, I just purchased the white iPhone and the clerk said he couldn't do the transfer :mad:

I just got home and was able to upload my photos and contact list, but my text message log is still blank.

Any tips? :eek:

Thank you.

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

3. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... I plugged in my NEW ip4 and clicked "Restore" and it prompts me "Are you sure you want to restore and update?" and that I will lose all data and it will be reset to manufacturer settings.

It does not allow me to "restore from backup" :confused:

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

right click on it on the left hand side and click "restore from backup"

5. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work :( It says "Restore from Backup" and the time is from just a few minutes ago. Then when I switch back to my old phone it has a restore date from a few hours ago. Is my iTunes treating my 2 phones as 2 separate accounts?

Hmm... I guess it's not that big of a deal if I can't transfer over my text logs. But if anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks.

6. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It's a bit tricky, but you want to restore it clean, and then after the restore, tell it to restore from a backup of the other phone. That's what I had to do when Verizon activated my iPhone in store.

iTunes usually asks you how you want to setup the clean phone after a restore.

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Restore the phone. Just restore it as new. Let it wipe itself and then start back up. When iTunes identifies it you will get the option to "Setup as new" or "Restore from backup". It will have the latest backup configured to be restored, but (at least on Macs), there is a drop-down menu to select a backup you want. It will usually tell you the date and time that the back-up was completed. Unless you deleted the back-ups manually, they will still be there. If nothing on the phone has changed since your last backup, then the phone will just replace that backup with the new one, since nothing changed.

8. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much guys!!! It took some time, but I finally got it. I appreciate all your help, I'd be lost without this forum!

9. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

One last question -- how can I transfer my entire music library from my old iPhone to my new one? It's only letting me transfer the songs I purchased off iTunes...?

10. risingup macrumors newbie

1st you will have to sync old iphone 4 with your itunes library in ur PC and then sync it with the new one.. Simple

11. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Are the other songs in your music library in your iTunes library on the computer? If not, there's your problem.