How to transfer the Wikipedia dump to my iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Nitromaster, May 13, 2008.

1. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Installed the wikipedia app yesterday and downloaded the wikipedia dump to my mac to transfer to my ipod.

Had my iPod plugged into the usb charging, and was sending the dump to my ipod via Cyberduck.

Came back after an hour and a half, and my iPod was really hot. (Total transferred at that time was 1.7GB out of 2.2)
    I decided to unplug it and cancelled the rest of the transfer. (Just in case the heat would damage some internals of my iPod)

Turned the iPod off and back on. Apps would open but the touch screen would then be unresponsive.

Left it for a while (turned off) and it seems to be working fine again now.

I tried transferring the wikipedia dump again today, after only 300MB the iPod was pretty hot so I cancelled the transfer again.

Was I right in cancelling the transfer to avoid any possible damage to my iPod from the heat?

How exactly should I transfer the dump? Would USB be faster?

2. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Uhh... You'll need the Wiki2Touch app from the Wiki2Touch folk... google it...

I havn't had much luck with it.

3. jbarr macrumors regular

4. Tyris macrumors newbie

thats the first I've heard of someone overheating a touch!

-T

5. Terberculosis macrumors newbie

My touch got a little hot too while I was transfering the dump, so I made an improvised heat sink for it. I placed the bare metal back of the touch on top of an upside down sauce pan with a decenly thick bottom. The pan warmed up noticeably, but the touch never got hot enough to worry me, about as warm as it gets being held in my greedy little hands.

Hope this helps.

Ohh, and the wiki dump works great. little slower than I would like, but its awesome. I always wanted the Hitch Hiker's Guide when I was little.

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

It took me quite a while to transfer the dump too, I think It was about forty minutes.. It got warm but I just let it do its thing.

Its definitely worth persevering with, Its probably the most useful thing on my touch. Having so much information at your fingertips is awesome.

If it is heating up too much, you could give filezilla a go.

http://filezilla-project.org/

I found it too be a lot slower than cyberduck, but it might not heat it up as much...worth a shot at least.

7. HKeleher macrumors newbie

It will get a bit warm but that shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend you remove it from any sleeve or carry case prior to doing the transfer. I took it out of my sleeve and placed it face down so the metal back was facing upward which would allow the heat to dissipate more effeciently. It should not get too hot to touch or cause the device to behave erratically. If it does then you can try placing it in front of AC or a fan but you likely have other problems.