How to transfer videos to Ipad on Itunes??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Billy95Tech, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Billy95Tech, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

Billy95Tech Suspended

I want to have videos on my Ipad Air 2 but i don't really how to add my videos on to it on Itunes from my computer.

Can someone help me please!?? Is it possible to transfer my videos from computer to a ipad?

And all so after I added my videos to the ITunes Library.

Where do I find my videos after on ITunes? Can I have folders of videos? because I want to keep my videos separate like I do on my other tablets?

I really hope i can transfer my video collection over to my Ipad air 2.

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

That depends on how you obtained your videos, and what format they're in.

If you bought the videos from the iTunes store, then it's a fairly straight-forward process. There's a tab for movies (or videos, I can't remember the exact term Apple used), and from there you can check or uncheck videos to be included on the iPad. Check a video and sync to transfer it over. The video will remain checked; uncheck it and sync to remove it from the iPad.

Since you're asking, I'm going to guess that the videos you have are not from the iTunes store. Perhaps these are rips you've made, yourself, and now you'd like to get them onto the iPad. In that case, it basically comes down to two choices:

1) If the video is in a file type and codec that the iPad "understands" natively, then you'll need to load the video into the iTunes library. After that, you should be able to sync it to the iPad as I described above.

2) If the video is a different filetype (such as a .MKV) or uses a fancy audio and/or video codec, then you're going to require an app to play the file. Depending on the codecs, your needs may be met by something like Documents, a free document manager that can also play back many videos (and which is incredibly useful to have for files beyond videos), or you may need a video-playing app, like VLC (free, but in my experience, buggy, and I think still lacks Dolby audio support due to licensing issues), or my personal preference, Infuse (the pro version, which isn't free; you can try the free version first, but it lacks some codec support).

Regardless of which app you go with, you can do the transfer in one of two ways. All three apps I mentioned above can have files transferred through your web browser, by opening the app and then directing your browser to the iPad's IP address (which the app will tell you). Drag and drop or use a transfer dialogue. Documents is a bit more unique in that it will allow you to mount it as an external drive to your computer, and then you can manage it through the Finder.

All of those cases require wireless transfers. If you'd prefer to use a cable, or if you'd really still prefer to go through iTunes, you still can. Within iTunes, connected to your iPad, choose the "Apps" tab and scroll all the way to the bottom. When scrolling, try to position the mouse outside of either of the two panes that display apps and your layouts. You'll scroll to another pane called "File Sharing." Click on the app (Documents, VLC, Infuse, etc.) and then scroll all the way down. There's a button called "Add" which will bring up a file picker dialogue box. Choose your files to be added, and when you sync your iPad, the files will transfer over. (If you have a video player application and don't see it available for selection, then it doesn't support document transfers in that manner. I can verify that Documents, Infuse, and VLC do support this method as well.)

Hope it helps.

3. Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

So after I added my videos to the ITunes Library.

Where do I find my videos after on ITunes?

4. Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I suggest using VLC video player app, as it plays just about every kind of video. All you have to do is go to your apps in iTunes with your device connected and scroll down to the apps that allow data transfer. You'll see VLC and you can add videos from your computer. They will then be in your VLC library on your iPad.

6. Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

Thanks and can I add multiple folders with videos to VLC library from computer as well?

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I think you may have to make folders within the app. I can't recall. Unfortunately I don't think that you can drag and drop whole folders via iTunes.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

1 Ripping DVD
    2 use Handbrake to convert to MP4 format
    3 on iTunes (on your PC or Mac) click file pull down and click on Add to library
    4 when it is done plug your iPad Air 2 to your PC or Mac
    5 Go to Movie screen you will see your movie on the list
    6 check movie you want to transfer
    7 click on sync at the bottom right corner
    8 when it is done you can start watching movie with Video app on your iPad Air 2

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

@Billy95Tech listen to what @joeblow7777 is saying in this thread.

"sideloading" videos is much easier and quicker than "syncing" videos through iTunes. Greater flexibility in video formats supported as well.

10. komatsu macrumors 6502

what software do you use when sideloading though?

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I use iTunes.

Perhaps I'm not familiar with the terminology that some people use... When I refer to "syncing" I'm talking about adding the video to iTunes on the desktop in the "video" section and then selecting that video to sync with the device.

When I refer to "side-loading" I'm talking about going to the "Apps" tab of in iTunes and dragging and dropping a video file onto the "File Sharing" area for video playback apps like VLC.

I apologize for the confusion.

12. komatsu macrumors 6502

ok thanks.

I'm not surprised you have to do this seeing that iTunes syncing can be so unreliable.

13. Osty macrumors 6502a

If you didn't tag the files properly with the correct metadata, they'll end up in the Home Videos category.