Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I don't currently use Signal, but I'm curious if this is a new feature only when starting fresh on a new phone?

I'm guessing if you got a new phone and restored from your old phone backup that it would have included your old chat history automatically without going through this process?

I uninstalled Signal and reinstalled it yesterday on my iPhone and was prompted with this (on the same phone I'd been using it on for months).

Would be more useful to me to have a cloud backup like WhatsApp does (as long as it was encrypted). But as some posters here mentioned, the whole point is security so that's just another link in the chain.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
If I have in installed on iPhone and iPad are the messages replicated to both? In which case if I trade in my old iPhone and therefore can’t migrate from it to my new one and I at least copy them over from my iPad?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I perceive WhatsApp to be run by a nefarious organization with government data sharing (at least historically).

I’m not sure it’s substantially different from a government-run messaging platform with data sharing to a nefarious organization.

Everyone has a vested interested in privacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.