How to transfter data from my Windows hard drive to mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ant111, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ant111 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Mac newbie here (recent convert) :)

After my old Windows computer died a horrible death (motherboard), I've decided to give this Mac thing that I've been hearing so much about a shot, so I got myself a Macbook. Been loving it ever since!!!

The only problem is: I can't find a way to transfer data from my old Windows hard drives. I got a Universal SATA+PATA IDE HDD Hard Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter, but it doesn't seem to work - when I connect my hard drives to it, Mac doesn't see it as external device.

I thought this was an issue with a filesystem being incompatible, so I installed Parallel Desktop, and tried connecting them to Windows virtual machine - same result.

I was thinking the problem is with my hard drive, but that's doubtful, because there are two of them, and same problem happens with both.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are you using SATA drives? You may have done this already, but don't forget you need to plug power into them separately from the USB cable.

3. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

If your going to continue using window programs, get VMWare Fusion.

Runs windows great and when running, USB2 devices can be turned on and used easily.

If your not going to run windows, format an external FAT32 and copy data over to it.

Mac sees and reads Fat32

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

if both machines are connected via wired to the same router, on your windows Machine, right click on your C drive or D drive, go to properties, go on the shared folder and enable File Sharing. Then, on Finder (on your Mac), you will see that drive appear and just drag the files to where you want them to be. No hard drives, no fat stuff. Pure Network awesomeness....unless your situation isnt what I described....in which case, bring on the Fat 32 :D

5. ant111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

illegalprelude - problem is, my Windows machine is dead, and I wasn't planning on bringing it back to life (replacing the motherboard, etc). I just have the hard drives.

dcl - from what I understand, that would involve me getting yet another hard drive, an external one for Mac?

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

well if the case is, your windows machine is dead, but the hard drive still works, what you need is to
    A. take out the hard drive
    B. buy an external hard drive enclosure and put your hard drive into it
    C. plug it into your Mac and walla, it will show up.

Keep in mind, external enclosures are a good thing to have around these days but if you want, you can just buy one from Best Buy and when your done with it, return it :D I call this technique, renting.

Also, you were stating that your USB thing didnt work for the hard drives. The issue might be, depending on the size of your hard drive, they cannot power them. For example, I have 2 external enclosures and I was upgrading the hard drive inside of each to 500GB and neither can handle it. They are meant for a max of 320GB. So thats something to watch for. So maybe when you "rent" your enclosure, go with the most expensive one :D

7. ant111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, good idea.

Thanks illegalprelude (great name lol)!!!