How to Travel with Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jersey10, Aug 28, 2008.

1. jersey10 macrumors regular

I am traveling for a couple weeks to a place where I may not have internet access. I would like to sync a bunch of my Handbraked movies to my Apple TV (I usually just stream them) and then hook the Apple TV up at the house where I am staying.

Will this work or is it going to be a problem that the Apple TV will be looking for an iTunes library and won't be able to find one? Are there any special settings I will have to enter?

I think it is just a matter of syncing the movies onto the Apple TV's hard drive and then hooking it up to the TV in the new place, but I wanted to make sure before I leave.

Thanks for your help.

2. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

Nothing special. Just sync. And remember your video cable.

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Yeah. I do this often and it works great. You might want to reset the video output if you won't be able to use HDMI though.

P-Worm

4. jersey10 thread starter macrumors regular

5. crotalus99 macrumors regular

I was thinking of doing something similar as well. Actually, wondering how difficult it would be to hook up a aTV in the minivan when traveling. Seems like it would be easier than switching DVDs.

Has anyone thought about this?

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

If your inputs allow it then great, but I am not sure I have come across HD inputs in car video. I think S-Video is the best you can do right now, unless I have failed myself and missed a new Alpine unit, etc that has HD input.

You will have to take the same approach as others that hook the unit up to a non-HD tv. Otherwise this is a great idea for long road trips or a more permanant solution.

7. jersey10 thread starter macrumors regular

I had forgotten that Apple TV is supposed to be used with high def TVs only. I doubt that where I am traveling has a high def TV.

Is there something special that I have to do to hook up an Apple TV to a non-high def TV? Or can it simply not be used without a high def TV?

Again any help is appreciated.

8. TomP80 macrumors member

I don't think a HD TV (whatever that is, given the countless different specs that are talked about on this topic) is a really requirement.

I think when Apple say a HD TV is required, all they mean is that whatever screen you are hooking your ATV up to has to have either HDMI or Component video inputs - it wont work natively with S-Video or Composite inputs.

As far as the resolution of the screen goes, ATV will work in resolutions down to 480p (definately not HD).

I'm not really an expert in car A/V setups, but as long as you had a screen that was capable of 480p resolution (i.e. 720x480 widescreen resolution), and could hook up your ATV component inputs, then it should work.

9. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

Most modern tvs have component input, so unless you're going to a cabin in the woods where there's nothing but a B&W TV from the 60's, you should be okay. You may want to remember to bring the audio/stereo cable with you, too.

I'm sure you can find a component->composite/S-Video adapter somewhere online, too, if the tv is that old.