How to Truly Quit an App?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMasterWeb, Jun 24, 2010.

1. iMasterWeb macrumors regular

Is there any way to quit an app without it going to the multi-tasking tray? e.g. I'm using safari, I quit it, but it's still running in the background. Any way to REALLY quit it? I know how to quit it once it's in the multi-tasking tray, but I'd like to eliminate the 'middleman' so to speak.

2. villager990 macrumors newbie

bump. I've had the same question ever since iOS 4. Maybe I'm just OCD but it's kind of annoying to have a ton of built up apps in the multitasking tray.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

Why do you need to kill it completely? It doesn't actually run in the background and will give up any memory it uses automatically when a foreground app needs it.

To completely answer your question, there is no way to prevent it from going into the tray.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

5. Ganesha macrumors regular

When you are viewing the multitasking tray, tap and hold the application you want to quit (just like you would do if you wanted to rearrange icons on the home screen). After a few seconds a little red minus will appear next to the apps. This allows you to quit or remove them from the tray.

Note: Most apps do actually quit, but are shown there as recently used apps.

6. outphase macrumors 65816

FYI, Safari has always run in the background. It's just now brought to your attention. I discovered this when I was jailbroken on 3.1.2 and saw Safari was always in my Processes list unless I closed all tabs.

7. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Activate app switching, then long press the app icon.

Will give you the minus sign to force quit the app.

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Most apps are "frozen" in the background. They're not really running.

very few things run in the background, one of them being streaming music.

9. mashinhead macrumors 68020

This is true but the problem is that by making every app run in the background by default kind of defeats the purpose of fast app switching because every app you open ends up in that dock that appears when you double click. Resulting in too many apps to cycle through.

Really there should be a setting with an on/off toggle switch that for each app as to weather or not you want it running in the background. For example everytime i open the clock app i have to go back in to close it because of poor design choices.

10. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

It's not really a multitasking tray, it's a history tray. Some of the apps may be doing something in the background, but the vast majority aren't open.

If you have a few apps that you use all the time, put them in the dock.

11. alana22 macrumors regular

Speaking of, since double clicking the home button now brings up the multitasking tray, what trick pulls up the ipod controls real fast?

12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Swipe to the left.

13. pawo macrumors member

its in the multitasking tray

14. iMasterWeb thread starter macrumors regular

I think she meant without having to open the multi-tasking tray.

Also, to everyone else who responded, I didn't know that the apps weren't actually running. Thanks for the clarification!