Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shergill

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Hi guys. I run a social networking site. I am thinking about writing a iphone app that lets people log in to send/receive messages to their friends. So basically all this capability is available from the website. I would like to write a iphone application to do the same. I know I can use the iPhone SDK to create an application but what I am not sure about is how to let that application connect to my site. Do I just write some php pages that return xmlrpc data that my application then just parses to display? So meaning that the iPhone app will call a 'web url' .. make a request.. get back some xml data and then display that? Is that the general idea??

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
You can use a UIWebView to wrap up a working web page in, and have nearly exactly the same web app running on the iPhone without waiting for a web page download.

I did this with one of my web app games, and about the only thing I had to change in my web app was to convert cookie state data into local user data storage.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I am also interested to converting a web site to an iphone app.
Any solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.