How to turn EDGE off (UK iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bongolo, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Bongolo macrumors regular

Hi there,

I purchased an iPhone last Friday, and have a trip abroad tomorrow.

I was told by O2 & Apple that I woud be able to swich Edge off when I'm abroad as travel a lot.

Anyone has any idea how to do this as now nor O2 or Apple seem able to help???

TIA

Bongolo

2. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

Settings > General > Network > Data Roaming OFF.

M.

3. rjackman macrumors member

Does that turn off just EDGE or Gprs as well ?

4. Bongolo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply otto-mate.

I actually found this setting but it says 'May avoid roaming charges'!

What I am looking for is definitely avoiding charges by switching edge off and only using wi-fi where available.

Anyone knows how to do this ??

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Setting data roaming to OFF should do it. This will turn off EDGE only.

You can also change your iPhone mail settings so that its gets your email manually. This will stop it connecting in the background.

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

phone o2, ask them to tell you what to do to avoid roaming data charges, then take the persons name when they tell you to turn that function off, so that if they charge you, you can say that 'Dave' said that this would make sure i didnt get any data abroad.

7. rjackman macrumors member

I cant get EDGE where i live, Is it worth turning it off to save battery or would it make little difference ?

8. rayward macrumors 65816

Turns off the data functions but leaves the phone functions on (calls, texting). You can still have WiFi on for data functions when you're in a hotspot.

9. rayward macrumors 65816

Probably makes some difference as the iPhone is always pinging the network when EDGE is on.

Bad news for you is that visual voicemail doesn't work without EDGE. You'll have to dial in the old-fashioned way to check your messages.

10. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Umm...you sure?
    I turned off data roaming, and wifi.
    So i'm just connected to GPRS (there's no EDGE round here anyway) and my visual voicemail works fine.

11. Bongolo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks notsofatjames,

I've actually been in two O2 stores and spent over 2 hours on the phone to O2 & apple and no one seems to be able to answer this simple question:

What do I need to do to stop all data transfer but WI-FI when abroad!

Surely I am not the only customer wanting to avoid silly bills when travelling abroad!

Unbelievable!!! :mad: :mad:

12. headspace macrumors member

The Data Roaming setting set to off is definitely what you need.

I think a lot of confusion arises with Apple's use of the term EDGE on the iPhone. When they say "EDGE" they really mean *all* cellular data including GPRS. They are really just using it as a collective term.

As long as that setting is set to off, the only way the iPhone can receive data is via wifi. I can verify this as I was roaming with my unlocked phone in the US only two weeks ago. When you attempt to use a data application, you will get a message telling you that you have "data roaming switched off".

The "May avoid roaming charges" message you see will come up if you turn roaming ON.

13. neveleven macrumors member

neveleven

If you unlock the phone and install an application called 'services' you can use that to toggle SSH, Wi-Fi. Edge and bluetooth, but don't know if you can hack the new firmware yet, worth looking into.

14. deux ponts macrumors newbie

Bongolo, did you get ur answer? I think i still have the same problem as you:

What I am looking for is definitely avoiding charges by switching edge off and only using wi-fi where available.

Anyone knows how to do this ?? Is there anyway to turn 'E' off even in your home location?

Cheers,

15. memesmith macrumors regular

Let's be clear here, turning data roaming off does not switch off EDGE. It has no effect while connected to your home network, so you can turn it off in the UK (assuming that's where you live of course, and you are connected to O2), and all data services will still work.

When abroad, if its turned off you won't incur data charges. That said if I were you I'd switch mail settings to manual too.

16. deux ponts macrumors newbie

memesmith,
    thanks for the clarification - & what about turning it off in the UK? how can you do that? That's my point! :)

I'm not in the UK but the question is still relevant for me in Geneva because i'm using a local carrier and i'm getting charged via this 'E' every now and then.

Thank you,

17. Bongolo thread starter macrumors regular

Having made several trips abroad with my UK iPhone, I can confirm that otto-mate first reply is the answer.

I have data roaming off all the time everything is fine with no Xtra charges when travelling.

Hope this helps and thanks again guys. :cool:

18. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I'm guessing your iphone is jailbroken....if so then Bossprefs should do the job...certainly works well for me. http://code.google.com/p/bossprefs/

19. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Data roaming off definitely works. I have used it several times when traveling to Canada. How do I know. I reset my Usage statistics right when I board the plane. My iPhone shows no data transfer during my trip.

20. bustermac macrumors newbie

o2 can actually put a EDGE GPRS bar on your phone if you want to guarantee no data charges when roaming. You need to phone o2 customer services and ask them to do this, you will need to phone them when you get back to reactivate EDGE GPRS. The blue E or rectangle disappears when it is barred.

This is a guarantee to stop charges although I have been abroad a number of times and used the data off when roaming function on the iphone and it has been fine, the way above just safeguards against any accidental usage.

21. AlienI macrumors newbie

Disable EDGE on Firmware 2.0

If you had your iPhone unlocked, you could have used Services or BossPrefs, with Firmware 2.0 you can use this workaround.
    http://rolf.haynberg.de/?p=42

Regards

22. brian250 macrumors member

I think the OP might be a little confused about EDGE.

EDGE is a method of connecting via a cellular network. It is something the network either has or does not have. You will not be charged for having the "E" symbol on your iPhone. The presence of the E does not denote a data connection, rather the facility to make an EDGE connection. Think of it like a dial-tone, its purpose is to let you know your phone works and you can use it if you wish. You can listen to the dial-tone all day and not be charged until your call connects, same with the E, AFAIK and from my own experience, I've never once been charged for data while abroad and I travel a bit around Europe.

Just turn your data roaming to "off" and you will have no problems with being charged. Don't worry about the E, its just trying to be helpful!