How to Turn Live Photos into Normal Ones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NightFox, Oct 3, 2015.

1. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Somebody's already posted a way of "killing" Live Photos by editing them and unselecting the "Live" button, but this only hides the video part as it can be re-enabled later (i.e. it's a non-destructive edit). I've just come up with a Mac Photos workflow that maybe useful for people wanting to permanently change Live Photos back to normal ones and discard the video part to free up storage space.

1. Using Photos on the Mac, export the photos you want to change (File>Export>Unmodified Original) to a folder
    2. Delete the photos from Photos
    3. Using Finder, in the folder you exported to you'll find two files for each photo: .jpg (the still) and .mov (the video). Delete all the .mov files
    4. In Photos, use File>Import to import the remaining .jpg files back into your library

There may well be other, simpler and better ways of doing this - if so please post them here!

2. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

Yes but all that does is "hide" the video bit - you can click on the icon again and it will be back; it doesn't delete it and free up any storage space.

3. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Thanks for the tip NightFox! I was trying to figure out a way to save some iCloud space by permanently removing the movie portion of the Live Photo, it's too bad it's such a convoluted process. I hope Apple eventually gives us a more streamlined way to do this.

4. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

What the OP is saying is he/she wants to save space by removing the video part, not deleting the app or simply hiding it

OP, just so you know, it only uses 2x the size of a normal photo. I'm not sure this is worth the effort.

5. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

6. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will