How to turn off 3G on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J-Bone, Oct 14, 2011.

1. J-Bone macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey guys I got my 4S today and was looking around and I can't seem to find a way to turn 3G off to go to the EDGE network (for battery life purposes) I went into Settings>Genral>Network and nothing was there just curious where it went to.

2. Almeuit macrumors regular

There should be a "Enable 3G" switch?

3. J-Bone thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope just a Celluar Data Switch

4. Codepiink macrumors regular

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I will be pissed if its a ploy just to get us to use up more data over 3G. Maybe it has to do with their supposed system being overloaded with so many activations today or whatever their excuse was.

5. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

This sucks!

I really pray that ATT or even other carriers as a whole allow this feature to come back because personally I leave my phone on Edge all the time and only uses 3G when surfing the web when I'm not near WIFI. 3G is not only a battery drainer but I also do not receiver 3G coverage everywhere I go (I'm with ATT). If I had known this feature would not be on the 4S I may have not decided to upgrade from my 3GS.

And before someone tries to rip me a new one, I was NOT one of the people who cared about having 4G on the Iphone. I really dont even care about 3G.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

7. Codepiink macrumors regular

Thats' the same problem I've been having as well. I can't believe this was not even mentioned. There's barely any reception in my area much less 3G, especially within the last year, and every time I've been calling over the last few months and to see when it's going to improve they don't seem to give a ******.

8. Bytemebb macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but when I go to Setting, then General, then Network, I can choose Cellular Data and turn off the cellular data to restrict all data to wi-fi.

9. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Previously you could choose EDGE data or 3G data.

10. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

Previously you could turn the 3G option off and an E for Edge would appear next to your carrier's name

11. LivingLarge macrumors member

Is the absence of the Edge/3g toggle a result of iOS 5? or is it only an iphone 4S thing?

I personally like leaving the phone on Edge myself, for battery concerns as well.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Still there on the iPhone 4 under iOS5, so it's a 4S-specific thing.

Being the magnanimous soul that I am, I will sacrifice my 3G-switchable 32GB iPhone 4 and trade it to anyone who has a 64GB White 4S. I'll even throw in $100. I'll sacrifice the ability myself, so that you can rest easier knowing you are able to confine yourself to EDGE.

No need to thank me, that's how I roll ;)

13. MachAF macrumors newbie

Verizon iPhone never had that option. I assume it has something to do with the new qualcomm chipset.

14. Codepiink macrumors regular

I'm not even sure. I sold my 4 a few days before iOS5 came out. :(

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Verizon never really had 3G. There was nothing to "Fall back" to, their whole network is 2.5G

16. Codepiink macrumors regular

Lol

17. LivingLarge macrumors member

Cool, thanks, good to know :D

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

May very well be a limitation of the baseband. From what I understand, Qualcomm has always been primarily a CDMA company, so it wouldn't surprise me if their GSM baseband is somewhat qwirky compared to the ones we've been used to.

19. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

I upgraded my 3Gs to iOS5 yesterday and the option to turn 3G on and off was still an option so it seems as though iOS5 is not the cause

20. agtwashington, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

agtwashington macrumors newbie

Not quite, Verizon along with Sprint can fallback to CDMA data (get the o as a data icon, with speeds about as fast as GPRS (slower than EDGE)). 3G on CDMA networks id EV-DO. I actually have the "o" icon right now because I'm roaming onto a local carrier's network. However, the VzW iPhone 4 never has been able to switch off 3G data as it is a subscriber modification to force switch a data network not a phone choice option.

21. Codepiink macrumors regular

Spoke to Apple Care and they said the reason EDGE is not on the 4S is bc it helps improve battery life by not having to constantly search for an EDGE signal, as opposed to when it connected to 3G "it doesn't have to search.. it's just there.." Hmm.... ok.

22. pkts macrumors member

I'm confused....are you saying that EDGE isn't supported on the 4S? Because the spec sheet says it is.

23. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

True, but as I understand it Verizon has upgraded every tower to EVDO so they don't have any CMDA-only locations (whereas AT&T still has towers that support EDGE but not HSPA). That's what I meant by Verizon not "needing" the ability to switch it off, because if you get a Verizon signal - you get EVDO.

I could see the benefit if you're roaming, though. Hadn't considered that.

24. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

EDGE deifnitely works on the 4S, as I have seen it switch over on certain occasions, but it would certainly be nice to be able to disable 3G data when both are available. For example, at work, I constantly show 3G availability, but data simply does not work. Every command while on 3G in the building results in the "Could not activate the cellular data network." error. It does, however, work with EDGE, and slow data is better than no data. Hopefully, the option to diable 3G will come back with the 5.0.1 update. Otherwise, this 4S may have to go back to the store.

25. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I think it's the new "auto switching" antennas. That's why there is no 3G on/off. Also because of the battery remember the new iPhone has an improved antenna (Were I used to get 2 bars, now I get 4-5 bars :D)