Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carriggt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Hi. I would like to completely turn of ALL internal and external microphones of my iPhone 6S. I am running iOS 9.0.1.

Is there ANY possible way to do this? I have a broken microphone on my Bose headphones cord which I tried inserting into the phone. You would think this would work. The phone would default to the broken external mic as it usually does when plugging in headphones, and no sound would result. However it does not work, and the iPhone does not default.

I'm looking for any solution here...preferably one that doesn't involve physically breaking the phone though...

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
They watch through the cameras too, and watched you put the electrical tape over them. But you missed two cameras!

Reactions: DirtySocks85

carriggt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Ummm.... any other ways? I'm essentially looking to prevent Siri from providing voice feedback when headphones are PLUGGED IN. I want to hear the siri beep still, but not feedback.

Hence why I'd like to disable the mics, so she cannot pickup audio and respond. Sound will still be played through the headphones though.

carriggt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
And also, a burner isn't a bad idea as long as it's real real cheap. Could I buy a burner and break the front mic thereby disabling audio coming into Siri? Anyone know of a place to get real real cheap iPhone? Can be any old version of the phone.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
And also, a burner isn't a bad idea as long as it's real real cheap. Could I buy a burner and break the front mic thereby disabling audio coming into Siri? Anyone know of a place to get real real cheap iPhone? Can be any old version of the phone.
Go watch the wire if you want an in depth report on how to manage your drug deals with emerging technology.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
An iPhone? that's real real cheap? and can also run Siri?

I bet that guy in the Walmart parking lot that sells "iPhoneys" out of his car will sell you a cheap burner... :D

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Hi. I would like to completely turn of ALL internal and external microphones of my iPhone 6S. I am running iOS 9.0.1.

Is there ANY possible way to do this? I have a broken microphone on my Bose headphones cord which I tried inserting into the phone. You would think this would work. The phone would default to the broken external mic as it usually does when plugging in headphones, and no sound would result. However it does not work, and the iPhone does not default.

I'm looking for any solution here...preferably one that doesn't involve physically breaking the phone though...

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1
Unfortunately, otherwise intelligent people here and across the blogosphere don't seem to care about privacy.

Or they are so comfortable in their denial, they have lost the ability to think for themselves, to advocate for themselves.

Failing to realize that at some point in the future, just when they least expect it, they are going to be very sorry they did not take privacy seriously, the day will arrive much to their shock. It's coming and it's only a matter of time.

For some that day is very near... for others, well there's little point in commenting on a topic they _know_ is not a problem.

For others, they're sure to call "paranoid" ... history proves that's also a bad call.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ummm.... any other ways? I'm essentially looking to prevent Siri from providing voice feedback when headphones are PLUGGED IN. I want to hear the siri beep still, but not feedback.

Hence why I'd like to disable the mics, so she cannot pickup audio and respond. Sound will still be played through the headphones though.
What's the use of Siri if she doesn't hear anything or respond with anything?

By the way, at least in iOS 9 there are some voice feedback settings for Siri located at Settings > General > Siri > Voice Feedback.

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unfortunately, otherwise intelligent people here and across the blogosphere don't seem to care about privacy.

Or they are so comfortable in their denial, they have lost the ability to think for themselves, to advocate for themselves.

Failing to realize that at some point in the future, just when they least expect it, they are going to be very sorry they did not take privacy seriously, the day will arrive much to their shock. It's coming and it's only a matter of time.

For some that day is very near... for others, well there's little point in commenting on a topic they _know_ is not a problem.

For others, they're sure to call "paranoid" ... history proves that's also a bad call.
Somehow it doesn't sound like that's what this thread is actually about.

carriggt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Somehow it doesn't sound like that's what this thread is actually about.

THank you. No no, this thread is not about privacy. I am an artist looking to use JUST Siri's beep for a project with a line out cable (headphone cable) plugged in. She cannot interrupt with her voice, and unfortuntately she responds to just about any acoustic noise. WHICH is why I want to disable all mics.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
How about just using a recording of Siri's beep?
If you need to have the actual iPhone, then why not just try a small piece of tape over the microphone? Although Siri may just respond with something like "I don't understand what you said" lol! But seems like a sound deadener of some kind is something that you could experiment with. You wouldn't need much.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
THank you. No no, this thread is not about privacy. I am an artist looking to use JUST Siri's beep for a project with a line out cable (headphone cable) plugged in. She cannot interrupt with her voice, and unfortuntately she responds to just about any acoustic noise. WHICH is why I want to disable all mics.

Couldn't you extract the sound from one of the many iPhone ads? Or use an AUX cable?

carriggt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Couldn't you extract the sound from one of the many iPhone ads? Or use an AUX cable?
I don't want to extract the sound or record it as a sample--this is interactive work for live improvised performance... it's gotta be activated from the phone.

And yes, I will be using an aux/line out/headphone cable in order to amplify the sound.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I'm probably missing the whole point, but why not just turn Siri off in settings? Would that not shut her up?

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
If you activate Siri and then right away hit the home button again to cancel her, you'll get the Siri beep without her responding. Also, the "Siri-cancel-beep" doesn't seem to play either. Might be a solution for what you're looking for?

Reactions: DirtySocks85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.