How to turn off an ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jwt, Feb 11, 2009.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

I just bought a new 24" HP LP2475w display that I'll use as my primary monitor. I'll keep my old 17" ACD as a second monitor, but I won't need to use it that much and would prefer to power it off when it's not in use. Is there a way to do that? (I touched the power button for almost 15 seconds and it didn't turn off.)

Attached Files:

2. awmazz macrumors 65816

Doesn't appear to be possible. A quick press of the power button on my ACD puts the whole Powermac G4 to sleep, not just the display. So it's a whole-system sleep button, not a display-only sleep/power button and it's computer on = display on if it's drawing power from the Mac's ADC/AGP port.

If you're running it off a Mac Pro or G5 though (as it appears from your pic) using an ADC/DVI adapter, your on-off switch can be the wall socket switch. And the sleep/power button is disabled anyway - the ACD I have running off my G5 via an ADC/DVI adapter does nothing when I press its power button so I'm guessing that's the same case with yours, although the display preferences button does work as normally.

3. Horst Guest

I don't know about this monitor , but the aluminum ACDs let you configure the on/off switch in system prefs - displays - options .

4. awmazz macrumors 65816

You can disable/enable the ACD/ADC power button via an option in system display preferences too, but it's still really just a system-sleep button not a true power on/off button for the display.

5. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

I already knew that, but thanks.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

you don't have this option?

Attached Files:

7. awmazz macrumors 65816

Not with the clear plastic ACDs. Just two 'disable' check-boxes along the lines of the brightness one shown in your image to prevent any accidently activating the two touch buttons - which are 'power' and 'display prefs', there are no brightness buttons (which is controlled by a slider in the prefs panel or by keyboard).

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can't seem to find a power button on my LED ACD.

9. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. I have this. And it looks like I have an Apple Studio Display. Oops!

Attached Files:

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Correct, Cinema Displays are the widescreen ones :)

11. awmazz macrumors 65816

17" Studio and 20" & 23" Cinema displays are still the same form and functionality for the purposes of this thread.