How to turn off multitasking??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SephirothXR, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

If I go into an app such as a game, when I exit the app and double click the home button, it is in the row of apps that I guess are "multitasking" where if I click it, it doesn't have to boot up the app again. This is taking away from my battery and I don't know how to turn it off except for apps that I actually want to be multitasking. How do I control which apps are multitasking and how do I stop the ones multitasking permanently (instead of "x"ing them out)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's really not.

3. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Those apps aren't actually running. It's not doing anything to your battery.

The apps save the state they were in prior to closing and open back up to the same place when you click them.

Only some apps actually run, but what they can do is very limited. This is how multitasking on the phone should be.

Only apps that record, play music or do other stuff that must continue when exited actually keep running.

If you want to close the apps in question just to feel better, just press and hold until they shake then press the close icon.

I assure you though, they are not draining your battery.

Things that do drain battery: having screen above 50% brightness, opening apps constantly, long cellular usage (phone calls and data over 3G).

To conserve battery, I keep my screen at 50%, don't download apps all the time, and connect to wifi whenever possible.

Wifi saves battery because the phone doesn't have to constantly connect to a cell tower.

Also, get over the idea that the battery needs to stay above 50% by the end of the day. (I had this problem at first)

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

When I first purchased my iphone 4 I was always compelled to go into the open apps barr and close them down thinking they could be running and draining the battery down too !

Now Ive got over that and dont bother as the phone will kill the apps by itself, and I dont have the % on my battery showing as this can cause you to start thinking about battery life too.

I was getting very tired of buying a new phone and thinking the first thing I need to do is turn this off and turn that down etc etc.

Obviously as numerous other threads talk about their are battery saving tweaks, and some dont affect the functionality of the handset which are fair enough.

My iphone 4 gives me 1-2 days heavy use without having to be overkill on its settings and usage.

So my advice is to perform some of the softer tweaks to save battery, but foremost enjoy your phone !

5. jasvncnt, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Yes you can. Next time don't answer someone if you don't have any idea of what your talking about

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Ok how then? You can't :rolleyes:

7. jasvncnt, Aug 3, 2011

jasvncnt macrumors 6502

If he is looking for something to totally disable the multitasking all together there are Cydia tweaks. If he is looking for a way to control which apps multitask and which don't he can use backgrounder and multifl0w

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

We're not in the iPhone hacks forum.

9. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

that's not his fault. It's a genuine suggestion the OP might want to consider, that he may have been unaware of.

10. jasvncnt, Aug 3, 2011

jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Really? Seriously? That's your answer? It doesn't matter where we are. Its the tips and help section. Not that it really matters. Point is he asked a question and right away you give your "you cant" answer which now you see is wrong. If your reason for giving him that answer is its in the wrong section, which is lame, you could have pointed him to the correct section then. *cricket..cricket*

11. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Thank you!

12. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Your right. When the OP double clicks the home button and it shows the apps in the background, it only consumes RAM (depending on how many are open, the more apps you have in multitasking, the more RAM it consumes).

13. jasvncnt, Aug 3, 2011

jasvncnt macrumors 6502

OP...I have tried many different tweaks to accomplish the same thing your looking for. Didn't care for really any of them. They didn't make much of a difference that I could see. Your best bet is to try a few and see how they perform for you. If you want you can also give Remove Background (in Cydia) a try. Its what I use now. You can set up a gesture to activate it and with one swipe will kill everything that is running. You can also configure Exceptions...so any app you add in that list will NOT be removed when you swipe. Oooops forgot....we aren't in the "iphone hacks forum"..:rolleyes: