How to turn off second display on mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacNoobGuy, May 7, 2012.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

hi all, i googled and apparently it's necessary to be running an app called switchres and i've installed it, but i don't know how to disable the 2nd monitor. does anyone know why apple doesn't include this built into OS X? Win7 can do it no problems.

thanks

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Unplug it, switch off the monitor's power switch?

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I guess the first thing I want to know is WHY? Dave's got it right -- just disconnect the monitor and Mac OS X switches your multi-screen desktop back to a single-screen desktop. That is, unless your SwitchRes application interferes with that ability. If so, remove SwitchRes.

4. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

how can i turn it off without removing the cable? it's easily within reach for me to turn it off. why is it so hard to do this from within OS X?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because it's not unreasonable to assume that if the monitor is plugged into the computer and not turned off, the user wants to use the other monitor.

6. dmarnel macrumors newbie

Why is it that often when someone asks for help with something, there's always someone else who chimes in with "Why would you want to do that?".

The OP is asking how to disable the second display without unplugging anything. Maybe they don't want to cause unnecessary wear and tear on the connections by constantly plugging and unplugging the cable.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Because very often, knowing what the user wants to achieve is more informative for providing a solution than answering a specific question.

"How can I start a fire?"
    "Why do you want to do this?"
    "To boil water in my kitchen."
    "Don't start a fire. Use the kettle."

AFAIK, switching off a monitor should make the Mac ignore it. Does this not happen?