How to turn off SMS & Spotlight... on SSD + HDD Combo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FarSeide, Nov 22, 2009.

1. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Let me preface this post by saying that I've done my search and wasnt able to find the information that I needed.

I have Intel X25M in my Optical Bay and 320G 7200RPM HDD in the other bay. The SSD is set as a start up disk and the other drive would be used as a storage.

Here are my questions.

1. I know the commands to turn off the SMS and Spotlight but I only want these turned off on SSD and not both. If I can't turn off Spotlight only one drive then how do I force the OS to keep its indexing information on the second drive ?

2. Is there any additional settings that you guys have done that will help me separate between a boot/app drive (SSD) and the storage drive (HDD). For instance, storing your iTunes music in the storage drive (HDD)... iPhoto pictures in the storage drive (HDD).. etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. bware189 macrumors member

I have a similar setup, only with the SSD(for boot) in the hdbay and the old HDD (for media) in the optibay. It would be nice to get a solution to this because I can hear the HDD abruptly stopping when sleeping or shutting down. It seems that if one of the storage systems is chosen as the boot drive, the other loses SMS and the ability to spin down properly.

3. justit macrumors 6502a

Good topic, I'd like to know how to shut-off spotlight as well.... anyone?

4. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Thanks MS but that really wasn't my question since I already know how to disable Spotlight.