How to turn off use of sim card without removing it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by peterpan123, Jan 27, 2016.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hello, I am traveling. I have the sim card installed on my iPhone 6s Plus. Once I moved to another country, the name of a local phone company shows up on the top left hand corner. I guess the phone is using my sim card and local company. Am I right? Since I don't plan to make or receive phone call, I want to turn off the use of sim card. Is there a way to do it without removing it physically? I went to settings, carrier. Even I turned off automatic, some searching was going on. Then, a list of local companies from the country where I travel shows up. When I moved back to setting, the name of one of the companies showed up. Then, I pressed carrier again and iPhone automatically turned it on! How can I stop the phone from using the sim card without me removing it?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Not sure I understand... if you don't plan on making or receiving phone calls, why not just turn the phone off?

3. dwfaust, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I don't know that you can turn the SIM "off". You can put the device in Airplane mode... and then turn wifi and BT on, as needed. That effectively turns off any carrier based cellular connection. It will also replace the carrier name on the menu bar with the airplane mode icon.

IMG_5982.jpg

4. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

To use free wifi in some locations.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

The earlier suggested method of enabling airplane mode and then enabling WiFi should do the trick when it comes to that.