How to turn off?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by f1alan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. f1alan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am writing this from my new iPod touch 4g and I love it!

But I can't see how to turn it off. When I hold in the home key I just get Voice Control. What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Alan

2. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

On the top edge there's a little black button. Push it in to put it to sleep or hold it to shut it down completely.

3. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

What did you normally do? Shut it down once in a while or just put it to sleep will do?

4. f1alan thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't believe I missed that! Thanks for your help.

Alan

5. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

I usually just tap the power button, putting it to sleep.

Unless I know I won't be using it for a while.

It will stay in sleep mode for days on end.

6. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

sleep is fine unless the touch is left unattended for several days, in which case it makes more sense to turn it OFF.

Remember: the battery has a FINITE number of charge cycles.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I shut mine off at night because I don't want any alerts waking me up.

Funny, I asked this same question in the iPhone forum when I first got my iPhone. A question which I think is a perfectly legit one for anyone who hasn't owned a Touch or an iPhone before. And they crucified for asking. lol. Glad the Touch crew is much more humane and civilized. :)

8. yustas macrumors regular

Speaking of the battery, how many charge cycles does it have? Does Apple replace the battery when it goes bad?

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

If it "goes bad" during the warranty period, then I believe so, yes. By "going bad" I think it has to fall below the expected performance for the battery. There is a natural tendency for batteries to perform worse over time. But if it's outside of the expected/normal parameters then I think they will deem it as a bad battery.

10. yustas macrumors regular

Let's assume the battery has 1,000 charge cycles. Let's also assume that after 1,000 charge cycles it does not hold the charge well, and it is time to replace it. Does Apple do that? How much does it cost?

11. Warbitrary macrumors regular

If you go through 1000 cycles during the warranty period (1 year), and the battery doesn't hold its charge anymore, I guess they would replace it free. After that, you pay. Cost depends on the iPod type and your location.

http://www.google.ca/search?client=...oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=mPaPTJCNCpPe9AT9rJXGDg