How to turn old 3G into ipod and erase data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Italianblend, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I have been searching for some tips on how to erase data on an old 3G phone and give it to someone else to use as an ipod touch.

Specifically, I want to give it to my mother so she can have her own apple account and download games and other apps.

I found a youtube video about this, but the process seems very long and complicated. He says to fill up your phone with playlists, etc. It's just too much.

Others say just to use the Erase and restore option that's in the settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings.

Can I just do this and take out the sim card?

Will she still have access to wifi and be able to download her own apps?

Just seems to be conflicting info on how to actually do this. I don't want any of my personal data on the phone when she gets it. Thanks.

2. Todthebod macrumors member

I think you can just restore it (reset all settings) and it will be fine. I have my 3gs sitting here with no sim and it works fine on wifi. It just says NO SIM at the top.

3. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I reset all data and took out the sim card. But it says to plug into iTunes and iTunes says "There is no Sim Card on the iPhone you are trying to activate. Please disconnect and insert a sim card in the phone."

But I don't want to operate it with a sim card. Help =)

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

2 things you can do.

1. Activate it with sim card so you can by pass the emergency screen to bring the phone to home screen, then take out the sim. Sim card does not need to be active, old/inactive sim card work as well.

2. Hactivate it with redsn0w.