How to Turn on silent mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewp, Sep 5, 2011.

1. andrewp macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey guys,
    My 3gs silent mode buttom at the side is not responding anymore. Is there any way/app that can turn it silent from the software?

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Unfortunately the only way is to go to your sound settings and manually switch off your ringer and such. If you're still covered by AppleCare, then you could try taking it in and getting it fixed.

3. andrewp thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can it really be true that there is no app to provide this function?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It would only be useful if the switch was broken.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It really can. No 3rd party apps can alter things like silent/ringer modes/brightness etc...

However, if youre jailbreaken, there are apps to do that.

6. andrewp thread starter macrumors member

Really? What app would that be?

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If you're running IOS 4.X then AutoSilent from Cydia would be your best bet. They even advertise it as being the only software solution when you have a broken switch. Here's their website with info about their app. Obviously you'd have to jailbreak to get it.

http://iphonepackers.info/

8. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

that app looks nice, reminds me of my blackberry. I wish Apple would make that app legit.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Ikr? I might have to jailbreak my iPhone just for this app. We'll see how I manage without it.

10. andrewp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot! Ill try that one today! Dont know what people have againt jailbreaking on the forum?

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Sure, no problem. I can't vouch for other people, but I personally don't have a problem with jailbreaking. In fact, the first thing I did with my first gen iPod touch when I got it was jailbreak it. I view jailbreaking as adding the ability to add extra features you want your device to do (similar to the way people get apps from the app store to make their devices function the way they want). I think most people who are against jailbreaking are against it because it makes it easy to pirate app store apps. I am against app pirating because most developers put alot of effort in their apps. But I don't see a problem with jailbreaking in general (sorry for getting so off topic, but I felt the need to voice this).