How to type { and } ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TodVader, Feb 10, 2008.

1. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I'm using an english iBook with english OS X but I use the french canadian keyboard input for accents used in french (Quebec). How do I type those 2 characters? I need them to type CSS and copy/paste is just frustrating. I've been searching on Google and could not find anything about it. I can see the characters on my keyboard but neither shift, option or shift+option works.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The best advice I feel is: enable the keyboard viewer in the keyboard settings / international menu widget. Then you can figure it out for yourself, plus any other keys you're not sure of.

3. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I don't have that widget :confused:

I just put my keyboard in standard canadian input and it's shift+ where it is on the keyboard. With my layout, it does this: ¨ and Ç.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

System Preferences -> International -> Input menu -> Show input menu in menu bar and also click on the keyboard viewer. The widget will show up as a flag on your menu bar....

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I believe you want alt+7/8

System Preferences - International - Input Menu - check show input menu in menubar

Then press show keyboard viewer

Picture 1.png

6. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Alright thanks, I had to check another box in system preference to make the keyboard viewer appear in the menu.

Ill go have a look and try to find my characters.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We could tell you, but this way you can find all kinds of other characters you didn't know you wanted.

P.S. since you're in Quebec, I'm really not sure what you meant, but when you said you had an "English" keyboard, most of our UK members will assume you mean a UK keyboard. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, or if you have a US keyboard, or if there even is a Canadian English keyboard.... I think the oversimplification is that if it has a pound sign on it £ or a Euro € then it is UK or European and if it has a $ on it, it is US. ;)

8. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

By english keyboard I meant I have a US/canadian english keyboard. I like everything in english (like OS, cellphone, games, etc) but need the french characters. That's why I use the french layout.

Btw, I found it. Its option+7,8 like an above poster said.

Thanks all