How to Understand Notebook Specs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stevi, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Stevi macrumors member

Stevi

Sometime in the next few weeks I'd like to buy a notebook. The problem is it's hard to understand what I might be buying and how it fits with what I plan to do with it. It won't be my primary machine as I have a maxed out late 2012 27" iMac. It will however be my main machine over the summer when I spend time away in the country. I'll only be away a week at a time so it doesn't need to be maxed out. I would like to run Aperture, as I am an amateur photographer. My current DSLR is 14mp and I am possible looking at getting one capable of 24mp. I am not a gamer and won't be editing any movies on it. Although I will use it to watch movies. I was looking at getting an 13" Air 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz; 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM; 256GB Flash Storage. However I am not sure if that will be enough and I am wondering if I should be looking at getting a 13 rMBP with a slightly smaller processor 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz; but more ram 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM and the same sized drive 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage. I think my eyes are glossing over just looking at the specs.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Stevi

PS if I have put this in the wrong place my apologies in advance.

2. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I'd go for rMBP if you give performance priority. If you give priority to portability, then go Air. If I had an iMac at home I'd probably go Air.

You can post this also in:

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

3. samh macrumors 6502

If you're going to be doing a lot of photo editing with large files (14MP and 24MP are large), you will probably see a difference in going from 8 to 16 GB of RAM. Portability is not as big a factor since you're talking about really just a half pound of weight. Also, you'll have a much better display for working with images on the retina macbook pro. I would not be as concerned about the CPU horsepower.