How to undo accidently "hacktivated" ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by doug in albq, Jun 18, 2009.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

OK, so I was messing around with the iphone 3.0 GM OS before it was actually released. Not sure if this in itself was what "hacktivated" my iPod touch, or if something else did it, anyway....

Now I cannot figure any way to actually pay $9.95 to Apple for a "legitimate" OS 3.0, and get my iPod Touch to function correctly with the YOUTUBE APP.

As is becoming evident, Apple has crippled the YouTube App on any "hacktivated" iPod touch (maybe the phone, too).

I do NOT want to jailbreak my iPod touch, is Apple going to force me to do this to get my functionality back?

Any ideas?

Edit: As of now, jailbreaking does not have a way to address this issue with the broken Youtube App, so no reason to do it.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can "hacktivate" the Touch? I thought that only iPhones need to be activated?

3. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

getting the GM 3.0 OS early (for personal testing purposes) without paying Apple $9.95 and without going through Apple....

=

hacktivated iPod Touch!

thing is, there seems to be no way to undo this.....

4. sebast1anc macrumors member

YouTube is working fine in my 3.0 GM ipod touch..

the reason it's not letting you "update" to the final version released this week is because the GM and final version are the same version.

5. jingles8302 macrumors member

Back it up in itunes then restore. it will ask you to pay prob.

6. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

I already did that, iTunes/App Store does not ask me to pay, it even downloaded the 3.0 .ipsw file from its own servers W/O asking me to pay.

Restore does not fix this issue.

Did my wife's iPod Touch update to 3.0 the legit way (she did not want to be an "unofficial" beta tester like myself) on her computer, and paid the $9.95...

7. Claytybob macrumors member

Claytybob

The above is true, same build number. Also, GM means Gold Master, which is techie speak for "Final Version released early"

If you must, simply restore in iTunes to get the latest version again, it should download it.

(I, on the other hand, am running a 1st Gen iPod touch on the GM firmware just fine, of course mine is LEGALLY activated with a developer account.)

8. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

yet another person who does not get what I am actually expressing...

9. sebast1anc macrumors member

It's never going to ask you to pay if you've already put the 3.0 software on there by any means. it sees that you already have 3.0, so it isn't going to ask you to pay when you've already got it.

If you are that desperate to pay for it then you could try rolling back to 2.2.1 and then trying to do the update to 3.0. Maybe then it will ask you to pay.

10. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

When I updated my cousins with the "Hackivated" 3.0 his Youtube didn't work, so I plugged it back in and synced and It worked after that.

11. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

with itunes 8.2 and mac OS 10.5.7, once at 3.0, one cannot roll back to 2.2.1...

tried that, did not work for me.

EDIT: WELL, WHAT DO YOU KNOW.....4 DAYS LATER I FIND OUT VIA PAYPAL THAT APPLE ACTUALLY DID CHARGE ME FOR THAT 3.0 DL, AND AFTER A LONG SYNC, NOW YOUTUBE APP WORKS!!